News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Parking

Started by Towntalk, November 10, 2015, 01:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

you heard it now. one must attend the finance committee meetings before the council meetings that is where you will learn about the daily happenings of ytown leadership decisions for ytown residents.

northside lurker

Quote from: iwasthere on December 11, 2015, 08:38:36 AM
Jay Williams administration tore down the State Theatre leaving its facade and JW promisethat his administration would build a parking deck adjacent to the State Theater facade. this was 10 years ago. the mighty wizard ytownfaltered on his promise

Really?  I'd never heard that before.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

Jay Williams administration tore down the State Theatre leaving its facade and JW promisethat his administration would build a parking deck adjacent to the State Theater facade. this was 10 years ago. the mighty wizard ytownfaltered on his promise

AllanY2525

Quote from: iwasthere on December 09, 2015, 04:40:06 PM
Allen ytown is not like your town where it's flourishing with a mixture of businesses and residents. Youngstown down town is still struggling to make it shopping and residents Mecca to put in parking meters is death to the ytown dt

Even the smaller towns and villages in my area use parking meters - some of them with 1/5 the
population of Youngstown,  and downtowns that are a fraction of even Youngstown' small downtown
area.  It would still cost more in the end for folks in or near the downtown to drive out to the 'burbs,
just for the sake of "free" parking, though.

Your point is well-taken, however.....if the city had the money, it would be nice to build a centrally located
parking deck with validated free parking for downtown businesses and places of entertainment.

:)

iwasthere

Allen ytown is not like your town where it's flourishing with a mixture of businesses and residents. Youngstown down town is still struggling to make it shopping and residents Mecca to put in parking meters is death to the ytown dt

AllanY2525

Quote from: iwasthere on December 03, 2015, 04:57:58 PM
This another money grab by the city leaders.

I don't see this as a "money grab" - rather, I see it as Youngstown catching up to the twenty first century
My city here in Maryland has had parking meters downtown for over 25 years and most of the other cities
in my area have also.  This includes Washington DC and cities in Northern Virginia as well.   

There is nothing unreasonable or unusual about a city having metered parking spaces in the central
core of its downtown - a business district.  The parking rates only apply to weekdays during business
hours - a standard practice in many, many cities around the country.

As for the YSU kids, it's unfortunate yes - but don't they have to pay if they park in the university
parking lots/decks anyways?

Now if the city were to put parking meters on residential side streets, then THAT would strike me as
unreasonable.  For those who say "well, I won't go downtown any more if they put up parking meters"
I would say this - driving out to Route 224 in Boardman, or to Liberty Township just to avoid parking
meters is going to cost you in gasoline and wear and tear on your car, or bus money. 

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  It's your choice.

iwasthere

the Youngstown State University students government should address this concern at the next 5 minutes with the mayor.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: iwasthere on December 05, 2015, 10:48:39 PM
This plan is to encompasses the ysu area, too. Many ysu students park around the university for free but this plan will end all free parking around campus.

Now that's a shame. Those students pay a hefty tuition as it is. Adding parking to it... I hope it is a very nominal fee for them.

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

This plan is to encompasses the ysu area, too. Many ysu students park around the university for free but this plan will end all free parking around campus.

Peggy Gurney

I usually end up paying to park at the large lot all the way down on Front Street across from the St Vincent de Paul dining hall, and walk up to Federal to do my business, or even just have coffee at Friendly's. Not so bad having to park there to go to City Hall, but shouldn't have to.

I sometimes have to park on Front down near South Ave to have coffee at Joe Maxx. ugh.  Granted it is not all that far...  But I have arthritis in both knees. So sometimes it can be a bit of a painful walk. 

~ Normal is overrated ~

cc4

I rarely have trouble finding a parking space on Federal or one of the

side streets.  I'm not afraid to walk a few blocks and refuse to pay to park

in front of 20 Federal Place.  I guess I'll think twice before going downtown

once there is metered parking EVERYWHERE--from South to Fifth and Commerce

to Rayen!

Peggy Gurney

*cough*  4 times around the block?  Are you kidding me?
~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on December 04, 2015, 08:15:15 PM
There is never an open parking space when I come downtown. Ever.You are not look ing very hard my friend.

Youngstownshrimp

I park.all the time with no problem, I crash thru vacant land.

Peggy Gurney

There is never an open parking space when I come downtown. Ever.
~ Normal is overrated ~