News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

May Open Soon

Started by jay, November 30, 2011, 09:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

A fancy letter "R" is now painted on two of the Front windows.

jay

A new sign is now in the front window.

Towntalk

What's taking them so long? Food Channel's Robert Irvine could have completely remodeled it for $10,000.00 and had it up and running in 48 hours.

jay

I passed by this restaurant on Wednesday.  It looks as though the carpet has now been installed.

ytowner

Quote from: jay on December 14, 2011, 09:49:13 PM
The bar area
Major improvement over the previous tenant!

Congrats!

jay

The bar area

ytowner

Very exciting to have two new Italian restaurants in downtown! Vernon's is fabulous and I anticipate this place to be much better than the previous establishment, which in my eyes left a lot to be desired.

Looks great and it is great for a community filled with Italians!

Towntalk

A "booze parlor", "saloon" is any establishment where people belly up to the bar to guzzle down "demon rum" for the sake of the booze itself.

Most better restaurants have liquor licenses and may serve a fine wine with a dinner, but souls enjoying a meal accompanied with a glass of wine are quite acceptable. I enjoy a glass of fine wine with a meal myself, and have been known to add wine to sauces on occasion, so I'm not a tea toter. I just object to having to associate with a lot of town drunks while enjoying a dinner, and having to listen to their slurred babbling. It quite disconcerting at best.

northside lurker

Just what is a "booze parlor" anyway?  As far as I'm concerned, the only places I would consider booze parlors are: the Draught House, Imbibe, and The Core.  And, the only place where I think it at all likely to see "a gaggle of whiskey swilling drunks" sitting at a bar, would be the Draught House.

Many places downtown serve alcohol.  But not every place that serves alcohol is a "booze parlor" or "saloon."  Would you consider Applebee's or TGI Fridays to be saloons?  Downtown seems to be picking up the reputation of being filled with a bunch of bars.  Yet, the suburbs--where you will commonly find Applebees, and TGI Fridays (and a number of other places that serve alcohol)--don't have this kind of image.  And frankly, as someone who tries to support downtown as often as I can, (and someone who drinks alcohol once every other year, or so) I find this double standard annoying.

Phew, now that I have that off my chest, I feel better.  :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on December 09, 2011, 06:03:07 AM
The restaurant will have a bar near the right front of the building.

I took a peak inside on my walk to the bus this evening, and it looks more like a place to pick up orders, or sit and eat if you don't want the formality of sitting at a table. (I sit at the "bar" at the Lemon Grove, when I go there for dinner.)  I didn't see any shelves for storing alcohol nearby.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

There was a time when there were at least two saloons on every block but one of Federal Street in my memory and in some blocks three, and every morning when I went to work the stench was awful especially on East Federal Street, and in the doorway of the store I worked at we had to pour two gallons of ammonia around the doorway before we hosed it down just to kill the stench before we opened for the day. I sure hope that we don't see a return to those days because if we do we'll see a lot of decent folks taking their business elsewhere.

jay

I liked the place when it was Tomasino's Pizza.  They only had pizza and soft drinks.

Towntalk

??? ??? ??? ??? Just how many booze parlors do we really need downtown anyway?  ??? ??? ??? Does that mean that a family will have to drag their precious little darlings past a gaggle of whiskey swilling drunks  :P in order to have a meal in this restaurant?  ??? ??? ??? :P ??? ??? ???

jay

The restaurant will have a bar near the right front of the building.

Lyndz

They are shooting for Dec. 17th or 19th. If not they will be open by the first of the year! They won 2nd place in the Holiday Window Display contest! they have the prize plaque in the window this morning!