News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Christmas for a family in the valley.

Started by JHughes330, December 01, 2009, 05:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHughes330

REMINDER: Any food, gifts, clothes etc be in new or gently used are due Saturday 12-12-2009. I will pick a designated spot for those who would like to donate (probably be Wick Park, or somewhere downtown warm!). Thank you & Happy Holidays!
"For All We Take We Must Pay, But The Price Is Cruel High..."  Rudyard Kipling

Shar

Yes they do.  They don't get started until 10:00, kind of late for me on a Thursday because I have to work every Friday.  That's why we don't go too often.

iwasthere

does cedar's still have swing nite on thurs nite?

Shar

No, I don't live on Elm although I have been to Cedars a couple of times for swing night.   :)

JHughes330

Thank you Shar, you wouldn't by chance live on Elm and frequent Cedar's would you?

Shar

JHughes330

I know that it may be short notice, but I figured I would reach out to the forum members.

There are two northside families that I am VERY close friends with, they are friend independent and strong.

The one family has a girl (9) and boy (12), their father walked out and the mother is a medical assistant in my office. The only reason she landed in Youngstown was because her car broke down, she and her kids had lived in the Rescue Mission for months until their mother made enough money to get a house on Roslyn. The mother works and works to provide for her children but still is having issues making ends meet. The kids both go to Harding Elementary and are very involved in the community. When I asked what they were getting for Christmas, they told me they werent having Christmas because their mom said it would have to wait until springtime.
Recently, her son had a seizure and is recovery... her money is being sucked into the health care system. They do not recieve any government assistance, food stamps, etc, because she "makes too much money".

The other women whom I am friends with, had her husband walk out on her ( he had mental issues, he was a veteran from Iraq), and has a 15 year old daughter. She is currently trying to make a better life for her and her daughter and is attending school and working full time to give her daughter a decent life. She also, is having a hard time making ends meet this holiday season.

I am currently taking donations for both families, everyone deserves a good Christmas especially children. I am a college student and my funds are strapped but Ive been giving plasma so I can buy them gifts too. I also want to get them food (breakfast foods specifically), and gently used clothes, toys, electronics etc.

Anything you can give, new or used, hand me downs or gift cards, anything is greatly appriciated. Both families do not know I am doing this, it's all a surpirse. The boy is stocky and the nine year old year is petite, and the 15 year old is bigger. the bigger the clothes, the longer the children may be able to wear them.

If you would like to help, or donate...please contact me at jahughes330@yahoo.com. I;d like to gather everything by Saturday dec 12, so that both families wont have to be depressed or stressed about where they will come up with food, money or gifts for their families.

Thank you and have a merry christmas!