News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Idora Baseball Team

Started by Jaime Hughes, July 30, 2008, 05:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Jamie: I just received an e-mail from one of my contacts at The Vindicator Sports Department, and he couldn't find a roster for the Browns in their vast archives.

Might I suggest that you try the Mahoning Valley Historical Society, and instead of looking for the Browns, look in their archives for Idora Park since their home field was the park. Maby you might find what you're looking for there.

Jaime Hughes

You wouldn't by chance have the roster to that particular team?

Mike

The Youngstown Browns was a baseball team in the Mid-Atlantic League that was based in Youngstown, Ohio, between 1939 and 1941. The team's overall performance was uneven, but it peaked during its second season.

In 1939, the Browns ranked seventh in the eight-team league, but the team rebounded the following year. In 1940, the Browns were poised to take the championship but lost to the Akron Yankees.

The Browns disbanded when the Mid-Atlantic League suspended operations at the outset of America's entry into World War II.[1] The team is best remembered for its role in launching the career of major league player Floyd Baker, who married a Youngstown native and made the city his honorary hometown

Towntalk

The name of the team was the Youngstown Browns and were affiliated with the St. Louis Browns. The team disbanded at the start of World War II.

Towntalk

My uncle Al Bardon was a member of that team, but I don't remember what position he played. Did you ever try the Sports Department at The Vindicator? I know that one of the former Sports Editors maintained a rather large archive of local sports teams that he left there after he retired and they may still have it.

Jaime Hughes

Question:

Would anyone know or able to find out the names on the Idora Park baseball team circa early '40s? They were the minor team for the St. Louis Browns, and William Powers was the batboy for them.

I already checked the public library with no luck. Can anyone help me?