News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Brain Drain

Started by Mary, July 13, 2008, 03:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

If theis area would get serious about renewable energy manufacturing, mass transit, and becoming a renewable technology center...

people would stay.......

instead we worry how less are people boating on the front page of the Vindy today....

Dennis Spisak-Green PArty Candidate

Campaign site; Http://votespisak.tripod.com

Mary

I have read several articles in the Plain dealer about the Brain Drain of NE Ohio. In talking with people (ranging in age from late 20's to late 60's) everyone's opinion is that we should leave the area. We are both college grads. It took me 6 months to find a job that was more then $10.00 an hour and he has not been able to find a job in the finance field yet. His two closest calls were Canton and Cleveland. Even if he would get one of those it would be to expensive to commute with the price of gas. We are very seriously thinking of leaving the area, Charlotte is the top city in the running at this point, though Texas is up there also. I hate to leave the city and the area in general but we have a lot of student loans that need paid off and we can't do that will what we are making here. It very much depresses me that we can't even get employers to call us for interviews here while we are getting calls from out of state. The attitude of most people we have spoken with is to get out and get out of here fast. It's a sad state for the valley when its residents are telling younger college grads to leave the area because there is nothing here for them.