News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Winter Heating Bills

Started by jay, January 23, 2014, 05:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Yupp....my mother is a very special person, indeed.  She worked at group homes in
Sharon and Masury, back in the day.

Peggy Gurney

Thank you so much Allan.

For the first time in almost 7 yrs, I finally have medical benefits! YAYY!  Now hopefully, I can get my myriad of health issues taken care of, so that I will be around long enough to make sure my boy is capable of taking care of himself into adulthood.  That is the plan. ;)

God bless your mother for taking care of those who could not take care of themselves.
It takes really special people to give of themselves in that way.
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

Peggy,

You might wanna check and see what kind of benefits you qualify for under the new health care laws.  They
were intended to help folks like you, who are hard working and decent folks trying to taken care of
someone.  From the little bit I've read the government will help pay for your health care based on
your income, etc.

Bless the little man in your life.  My mother was a group home parent for autistic children when I was
young - my heart goes out to you.

:)

Peggy Gurney

LOL!

I didn't and don't wear long johns.  I am one of those crazy people who LOOOOOVE cold weather!
Fortunately, my son takes after me in that respect.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Don't put your long johns away yet ... more snow on the way. What a bummer! These old bones are crying out for warm weather to finally arive.
I took my long johns off Sunday to get them washed ... after wearing them 24/7 all winter long they stood up on their own. Oh well, at least they're clean again.

Peggy Gurney

Great reply TT.   Unfortunately, I am not in the same boat, nor is my mom.

As you know I have a son who has Autism and I am his sole caretaker.  His father does pay child support.
He is a disabled U.S. veteran, and does pay child support.  It has been 10 yrs since I've had a job that offered health coverage or retirement.
The ones that did offer health coverage charged us employees so much that we couldn't afford it. So for a time I was on assistance. But when I received a small increase in the child support check, the medicaid was discontinued. My son has partial health coverage through his father's military benefits, but they do not cover dental or vision, so he does have coverage through medicaid - it is secondary to the military coverage. Thank God he has it, as he's had to have 3 surgeries on his eyes, and two dental surgeries. Yet another eye surgery is scheduled for June. He is 14 yrs old. 

As for me, I have not had health coveragefor the last 5 years. I am eligible under the expanded Ohio Medicaid plan, but have not applied for it, and not sure that I will, even though I could.  I have never applied for food stamps, and refuse to do so.

I, too, am appalled at those who have made government assistance a habit.  They get health coverage, food stamps, etc, yet drive nice cars, wear expensive jewelry, and buy steaks and lobster tails.  I would rather we eat our hamburgers and pork chops and mac & cheese knowing I bought it with honest work, than live like that.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

We're on the same page of the same hymnal my friend. I can look at my own extended family and see individuals who for one reason or another needed help. After my father died, Mother and I had precious little to live on, but, Mother never even considered welfare ... she went out and got a job. What gripes me is the fact that there are those who have made a career of welfare ... not just for themselves, but for the next generation.
Here I am, going on 75 ... I had good paying jobs all my adult life, but unfortunately none of them had retirement benefits, so all I have to go on is Social Security, yet thanks to the way I was brought up, I can hold my head high, and not ask anything from anyone, nor do I have to depend on local food banks, yet manage to keep a full pantry, and can go to sleep at night knowing that all my bills are paid in full, and should an emergency arise, I have someone who is covering my back.
What more does anyone have a right to expect?
Oh yes, all my bills are paid by me, and not some agency. I do not begrudge those who need help, and would never look down on them, for I very well could find myself in the same boat.

Youngstownshrimp

TT,
I have no problem helping the genuinely poor and invalids, no one can question what my wife and I do for community for the past decade.  That being said, when I see someone or family on assistance, my first question, is:
1.  Are both parents of the assisted children supporting in any manner?

Towntalk

Peggy, for families like yourself, there is no problem whatever. That's what it was created for.

Towntalk

I don't honestly know, nor do I know just how applications are verified.
Are there cheats? As with any other program, I suspect that there are, but before I get too harsh, I want more details.
As I said I'm not on this program.

Peggy Gurney

hmmm, I am able-bodied, and I work. Yet my income qualifies me for this program, for which I am extremely grateful.

But to answer your questions... I don't know. Do you?

~ Normal is overrated ~

Youngstownshrimp

How many able bodied people get HEAP in Youngstown while most here have to "sweat-their-brow" to pay their share?
How many in Youngstown get Heap and assistance and yet are "Fractivist?"

Towntalk

I'm really glad that they helped. This winter has been murder on all of us, but particularly for those who's income qualifies them for this program. Getting hit by high heating bills on top of other major expenses that can't be avoided isn't fun.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Towntalk on January 25, 2014, 12:45:26 PM
Billy: Here's the link to the Ohio H.E.A.P. program. It will answer all your questions for you.
https://development.ohio.gov/is/is_heap.htm

I thank God for HEAP.  There is no way we would have made it through this winter without those budgeted bills.
~ Normal is overrated ~

northside lurker

My last bill was $225.  But I'm happy with that, because my new house is: 1700 square feet, (2x the size of my west side house) has no insulation yet, has a 60 year old furnace, and the windows haven't been restored yet.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison