News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Union vote at Vallourec

Started by Billy Mumphrey, January 18, 2014, 07:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joly1584

My husband is a professor at YSU.  Last contract negotiations we lost $5000 a year-mostly in insurance benefits.

Because my employer offers insurance I had to switch from YSU to my employers plan-costs more with less coverage.  My husband is paying more of his premiums.

I realize how fortunate we were having his insurance when our kids were still at home.  We paid no premiums for any family members and had great coverage.  It was great with some of the health problems my son and I had.

His union dues have been increasing steadily, and his benefits have been decreasing even faster.

iwasthere

how many of us are enjoying union benefits through our own employment or spouses. past or present?

Towntalk

Welcome back my friend ... missed you a whole lot. Hope all is well with the family.

Youngstownshrimp

How ya doin' Bobster?  Last time I saw you , you said you were coming back.
How's the Radio Gig?

Irishbobcat

Ron, I thought you told me you changed?

Youngstownshrimp

Thats it!  Thats all you have to say for yourself?  Bringing your Dad into the debate, really!
What are your contributions to our community? Were you a Veteran even, you admit you haven't even been in a Union.

Billy Mumphrey

Make fun of my views. My dad was a union member and I was proud of what he provided for us.

Towntalk

QUESTIONS:
1. Did Mr. Billy ever hold down a full time job?
2. Did Mr. Billy ever carry a union card? [FYI Billy: "carry a union card" = belong to any union.]
3. Does Mr.Billy have a skilled trade?

Youngstownshrimp

History:
Unions were only beneficial when there was a monopoly.  Once competition ensued, the winner took that industry; first Japan and others then China today.  The Valley, if any community lived thru this phenomenon and suffered tremendously for it, we still suffer from industrial demise today.
Majority in the Valley have been affected by this, me... my father-in-law and most of my in-laws had no industrial jobs in their generation.  BILLY BOY knows this, and so does the FRACKPOTS, they are beginning to scare me, because they are the ILK that are brainwashed and will fight for what is WRONG for America today.  They are TRAITORS, yes I said it, and we have proved it, they hide behind free speech, but their purpose in life is to KILL free enterprise, debate this Billy!

Rick Rowlands

Vallourec jobs are not part time. They are full time with good benefits.  This is not the same Brier Hill Works of Ed Mann's era.  The protections that the union movement fought for have been codified into law, so now we have the NLRB, federal and state law protecting workers. Unions have long ago stopped advocating for the workers best interests and have become a political entity dedicated to supporting the Democrats.  Union membership has steadily declined because workers all over the US have said time and time again that the unions do nothing for them and that their dues money is wasted. 

Billy Mumphrey

In today's economy with only part-time jobs from mega-million companies, unions are needed now more than ever.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Billy Mumphrey on January 18, 2014, 11:27:53 PM
Unions helped build the middle class here in the valley. You anti-union folks must be having senior moments.
Always remember what unions gave all of us!

http://www.unionplus.org/about/labor-unions/36-reasons-thank-union

Billy,

waaaayyyyyy back in the day when the unions first organized in the mills,  workers
had unfairly long shifts and low wages...the unions fought (at that time) for
shorter days (8 hours versus 12 or more), benefits, etc - this was in the early part
of the 20th century.

Today's workers have it much better in NON union shops, and as others have
already stated here, today,s unions don't do all that much except collect
union dues.

My union job in the late 80, (before moving to the DC area) was a prime example
of this - they took my money every paycheck and did nothing for me.

Towntalk

My friend I had been a union member for 22 years and what did it get me? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. So before you continue to debate consider also what happened to a whole lot of local steel mill workers here when the mills closed down then SHUT UP because you don't know what you are talking about!