News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

test

Started by ForumManager, August 23, 2006, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Don't mind your 2 cents at all!
We went so many years without having to register and now even the registration gets spammed.
I've been reading posts on the forum support board and the integrated captcha is not working as well as the add on was for many people.  I'm thinking someone will come out with another addon for the newest version of the forum

our2cents

Cool on the upgrade with CAPTCHA for regs.  That's what I was hoping it would have available.  That initial security image being off post had me thinking for you.   :laugh:  Hope you didn't mind my 2ยข.

I'm always happy when there is an audio option.  Some sites present images that just can't be seen very well.

ForumManager

Secuirty recap

We were getting spam posts so I disabled guest posting.
That was only in the past few months.  We had very few spam posts for several years but they steadily increased.
Then we were getting spammers as members.  Usually they wouldn't confirm within a day or two and I would look up the IPs  and they would be from Russia  or the Netherlands or some other foreign country  and it was obvious they wouldn't be interested in local news...nothing against the Russians or Dutch!

The older version of the board didn't have the security image (CAPTCHA) support.
I added it manually as a modification.
It stopped the spam memberships.

That mod isn't available for the new version
BUT
I just read all the specs for the upgrade
and it offers the  CAPTCHA for registrations.
I just logged out and clicked register and it was there.
It also has an audio option for vision impaired folks or if the image is a mess.... the one presented to me was terrible!
I am really impressed with that!

There are two boards open to gue**st posting at this time and they are buried at the bottom of the list.
Poll discussion and gue**st calendar posts.
So far, no spam.
Formerly the CAPTCHA would be present for posting on the two boards but the new version doesn't offer it as an option.

We shall see what happens!

our2cents

Is the missing security image in registration going to cause any issues for bots getting into the system?  I know having bot access has benefits in some ways, but can also open the door to some negatives.

ForumManager

:) The spiders aren't showing up correctly in the stats, but other then that, I think it went well.
Also the security image feature where you are asked to type in characters to register isn't available for the new version.

our2cents

ForumManager

test for functionality after upgrade