News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Are There Any Lead Pipes In Youngstown?

Started by jay, January 25, 2016, 06:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

LOL.... Why?Town

Now I know I'm getting old... I REMEMBER that game...

:)

Why?Town

Yes, I believe Colonel Mustard had the lead pipe in the library.

AllanY2525

We used to have a culligan whole house water system... dunno if it took out lead, but
it pretty much removed all the city water plant chemicals.  It had a big brine tank with salt
pellets that it used to self-clean once a week.

Nicholas Serra

Looking at installing a whole house filter system. Wondering if any companies around here do it, or if i'll have to piece it together myself.

AllanY2525

You are correct in that the tank/pitcher models are not designed for lead removal.

The model that mounts directly on a sink faucet is, however...it may not be perfect, but it

can still help reduce the amount of lead in your drinking water.

Now that you mentioned that fact regarding the (tank/pitcher) I may just get one of
the faucet mount models.

:)

jazz218

"Brita" type filters will not remove significant amounts of lead.

AllanY2525

A good general rule of thumb:   Buy a Brita or similar water pitcher or tank for your refrigerator.  The
activated charcoal filter cartridges in these filters can remove up to 99% of any lead, copper, etc in
your drinking water.

WSSC (our water utility in my area) uses a LOT of chemicals in their water, so I've been using one
of these Brita tanks for years - the charcoal cartridges for it cost about $8 and they last for three
months or so.

Better safe than sorry.....

:(

jazz218

It is not so much lead piping, but lead solder that was used extensively for joining pipes/fittings up until about 40 +/- years ago. The influence of lead depends on the natural corrosiveness of the water supply. Process improvement can reduce lead content, but very difficult to remove completely.

One general rule is to never drink water from hot side of faucet, as lead becomes more concentrated as water temperature rises.

jay

Were lead pipes ever used anywhere in the Youngstown water distribution system?

Were lead pipes ever used in residential structures?