News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown School District Makes The "F" List

Started by jay, January 15, 2016, 08:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on January 17, 2016, 10:51:51 AM
They've eliminated everything that actually made school enjoyable. i.e. Home economics, music, art, etc.
And they've eliminated everything from school that actually helped kids develop working skill(s), i.e. Shop, political science, typing class, and again, home economics, etc.

Even from Chaney?

Sad...

iwasthere

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Irishbobcat on January 17, 2016, 08:58:48 AM
What is the incentive for troubled inner-city youths to graduate? Teens tend to focus on short-term rewards.....Graduate and make 9 dollars and hour at Wal-Mart or push drugs and stolen goods for hundreds of dollars?

Truth ^.
They've eliminated everything that actually made school enjoyable. i.e. Home economics, music, art, etc.
And they've eliminated everything from school that actually helped kids develop working skill(s), i.e. Shop, political science, typing class, and again, home economics, etc.
Now some of you may disagree, but Home Ec is probably the most important of them all, since it teaches working skills, such as cooking, sewing, how to manage money, how to balance a checkbook, etc.
These kids are not learning any skills to help them when they go out on their own.
We're educating a generation of skill-less young people!
~ Normal is overrated ~

Irishbobcat

What is the incentive for troubled inner-city youths to graduate? Teens tend to focus on short-term rewards.....Graduate and make 9 dollars and hour at Wal-Mart or push drugs and stolen goods for hundreds of dollars?

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

Madame president Peggy they received AC from first grade to third grade for the reading levels

Peggy Gurney

I thought I read that YSD got a C ?  Am I wrong?
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

Not suprising, given all the problems the school system has had year after year for a very long time.

jay

When it comes to graduation rates, the Youngstown School District recently made the "F" list of school systems in the Mahoning Valley.  Also included on the "F" list were the Warren City Schools and the Campbell School System.