News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Quiz

Started by Towntalk, September 02, 2006, 04:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I think you are referring to the banking room as it's called. I have a photo of the bank when it was knows as the First National Bank, and yoy can see the balcony from there.

The bank went under several name changes

1. First National Bank
2. Union National Bank
3. Bank One
4. Chase

What is interesting is that it was when the president of this bank was robbed in front of his home on Broadway that the Mayor took the cation that he did.

(See articles in the 1/2/1919 Youngstown Telegram available on microfilm at the Main Branch Library.)

northside lurker

This may be a bit off-topic, but still appropriate.  Anyone who has been inside the BankOne/Chase lobby in downtown may have noticed the balconies at the ends of the room.  Those were originally part of the bank's security system.  Guards were posted there with Gatling guns!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Answer:

The article is from the front page of the Youngstown Telergram for January 2, 1919. The Youngstown Vindicator likewise front paged this order from Mayor Alvin Craver. Back then cities did not have to worry about what the ACLU would say.

Besides carrying hand guns, the auxiliary police officers also toted 12 gauge shotguns and walked beats. Can you imagine what folks thought when a uniformed policeman walked by cradling a loaded shotgun, knowing that he would use it.

Rick Rowlands

Reinstate that Order!!!

Towntalk

QUIZ

Can anyone tell me the year this article appeared in a Youngstown newspaper?

SHOOT TO KILL ORDER STRIKES FEAR TO THUGS

Same paper, same day front page editorial.

RIOT GUNS AND EPIDEMIC OF CRIME

Some things never seem to change.

By the way the story was about Youngstown.