News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Get Ready For A Lot Of Snow

Started by jay, February 03, 2014, 06:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Mumphrey

The Trumbull County Sheriff's office is urging drivers to stay off the road if possible.

Major Harold Firster of the Sheriff's office tells 21 News that winter conditions have caused multiple accidents in the county and traffic along Interstate 80 is at a virtual standstill.

Major Firster advises residents to call their employers regarding their commute to work.

Towntalk

10:30 AM - EST The city started laying down salt on our street. Any way, I'm glad that I will not be going out anytime soon, or at least not till next Monday. I'm not stable on my pins in these kinds of conditions due in no small part to my age, and can't afford any broken bones. The plow only went down the center of the street so folks are going to have to be careful driving. I guess that they are doing this on all the streets that only have two lanes. But any way I'm greaful for their efforts and won't complain.
Have a good day and stay safe my friends.

Billy Mumphrey

My street is a sheet of ice. Even the garbage truck got stuck and couldn't move.

Towntalk

WKBN just said that due to the freezing rain, it's better that the streets aren't plowed because they would just become a sheet of ice.

Towntalk

The traffic is all keeping to the center of the street where the snow is well packed down. I pity people who have to take the bus this morning because they will have to wade through the snow and ice to get to the bus.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on February 05, 2014, 07:52:36 AM
Where are the snow plows? My street is a main street ... a bus route ... a connectring street to both the freeway and YSU ...  a route for both No. 7 Fire Station and both hospitals but it hasn't been touched

I'm not a driver, but from what my coworkers tell me, the roads that haven't been plowed are better to drive on than the roads that have been cleared, because of the freezing rain.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The plows are probably on Burma.    ;D

I agree, the main roads used by the safety forces and mass transportation should be cleared of snow first.

Towntalk

Where are the snow plows? My street is a main street ... a bus route ... a connectring street to both the freeway and YSU ...  a route for both No. 7 Fire Station and both hospitals but it hasn't been touched

jay

Billy,

I just finished shoveling my sidewalk for the mailman and the snow was very heavy.

Towntalk

Jay, the answer to your question is yes, they do need to get out of their studios and let us see what we can already see for ourselves by looking out the window. What's so funny is that the in studio anchors tell their folks out in their cars "Be safe". What else would they be?

Billy Mumphrey

For those who still shovel by hand, please be careful. Snow is heavy this morning and can be quite a strain on your back and stamina. I am aching already.

jay

I just started to watch WFMJ.  They have two crews driving around the area (PA & OH) reporting live on road conditions. 

Do we really need to see these crews driving aimlessly up and down snow covered streets?  They should just stay put and quit wasting gasoline.

AllanY2525

re:  "snow-ready" drivers - as an expatriot of Ohio, it never ceases to amaze me
how skittish people here in the Washington, D.C. area get about driving on
even the slightest amounts of snow.

The ones driving SUV's down here seem to think that SUV's stop better on
snow just because they GO better........I lived in Freedom, PA on a small farm
when I first came into the world - in the dead of winter

My dad had to shove the ambulance up a hill to the hospital with a police vehicle
because there was deep snow that evening.   I don't mind driving in snow, just
hate extreme cold like the last couple weeks.....

:)

iwasthere

the new time for the return of the 1950's snowfall is midnite.

jay

Tuesday, 8:50 p.m. - No snow so far