News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Bessemer Block, Youngstown,O"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, November 01, 2012, 10:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Rick, Just got my differencial on dup truck back from Margala.  As soon as the trk is finished next week, will be in position to haul brick.

Nick, what kind of project do you have and how much brick do you need?

Rick Rowlands

Ron, I'll be around on Wednesday, Friday and over the weekend.  Give me a call.  My buddy who now owns my old backhoe should be able to drive over to the lot and dig out the brick for us. 

Nicholas Serra

Quote from: jay on July 19, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Nicholas,

YSU is demolishing the old Rayen building at the corner of W. Rayen and Elm Street.  I drove past today.  There are loads of pavers that were part of the brick exterior.  Most of the pavers did not even have mortar on them.

Thanks for the tip. Checked it out today and did not see any "Bessemer Blocks".

AllanY2525

Quote from: jay on July 19, 2014, 04:39:55 PM
Nicholas,

YSU is demolishing the old Rayen building at the corner of W. Rayen and Elm Street.  I drove past today.  There are loads of pavers that were part of the brick exterior.  Most of the pavers did not even have mortar on them.

Sad that the building had to be torn down... my mother and I ran the upper two floors (apartments converted into sleeping rooms
only) as "The Rayen Dorm" in the late 1970's... Tony's and Pogo's Pub were two bars located on the first floor at that time... I
remember that I never got to sleep before 3 a.m. because of the music from downstairs.

I was 15 years old at the time....

Youngstownshrimp

Rick,  We should meet and look at the target so we have a better understanding on the removal.  I take it, that you have a mini excavator lined up?

Youngstownshrimp

TT,  A business person purchased the corner lot and store and has secured permits to develop the property as a restaurant.  The other parcels are owned by my associates with a wait and see position on what happens to the corner store.

Rick Rowlands

Ron just give the word and we can get started on harvesting the pavers.

Towntalk

More

Towntalk

For the new folks that may not know what I'm referring to.

Towntalk

Speaking of projects has there been any new developments at Buckeye Park?

Youngstownshrimp

Sounds like we have three projects now. We need to organize a small excavator to load the pavers.

jay

Nicholas,

AllanY2525

Rick,

Excellent idea with the red paving bricks....I think the old brick streets were much nicer looking
than modern concrete or blacktop - and it will add yet anotherpiece of history to the museum.

Amazing how DURABLE the old brick pavement was.....lots of streets in the city still have the
bricks, a few layers under the asphalt.  I can only imagine the amount of back-breaking labor
involved in laying down all that brick, back in the day.  Must have been VERY  time consuming as
well.

Nicholas Serra

Are any still available? Would love some for a project downtown. Thanks! You can text or call me 330.509.one-four-four-three.

Rick Rowlands

OK works for me. I'm not in a hurry but would like to strike while they are available.