News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Council gives 70K to a Downtown Law Firm for Moving Expenses

Started by Rick Rowlands, June 21, 2012, 09:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Facts are that majority of the demo houses in Youngstown, are not rental property but property owners who have fled the City once their houses were stripped and vandalized by the crack heads of Metro Youngstown and unable to pay demolition fees.  Many also are deceased.   Real estate investors are the majority of the payees for demolition despite the City collecting demolition fees from them and illegally hiding these funds in their General account and not returning the demo funds to the Feds or State.
FUNNY I do not see any hipsters decrying this act.

Rick Rowlands

Yes I did.  He is doing great over there, and as soon as we get the bonus check from the natural gas lease we're putting a new roof on it.    He has a HUGE garden planted, and the stray dog that was wandering around the neighborhood was adopted and now has a good home.

northside lurker

I would like to say that I applaud Rick's efforts to do the right thing with his house, even if he chose not to live there.  Instead of just abandoning it, or unloading it to the first slum-lord to make an offer, I believe I read somewhere that he found a good tenant or buyer for it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Peggy Gurney

Youngstownshrimp, if what Westsider said insults you, imo, you get insulted too easily. 

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I'll tell you the truth, there were times when I thought seriously of moving back to my hometown so I could get away from all the **** that goes on here, but unfortunately that's out of the question financially, but fortunately, I'm surrounded by real friends a reasonably quiet neighborhood, and have had no real problems crime wise, but I must agree with you Shrimp and Rick on many of the points you make.

At heart, I'm a loner ... I prefer my privacy, and so long as that is intact I'm satisfied. I've never been one to go ramming around to every event that comes along like some folks I know, and so long as that can be maintained, I'm content.

Youngstownshrimp

Westsider, the word "fleeing" is an insult to my Ohio Family name, I am a veteran, my father took a bullet to the head in Korea and an AK47 round in his foot as a Green Beret in Vietnam, my Ohio grandfather was killed in a Japanese concentration camp protecting your freedom here in what is now a City that tramples on our freedoms as they wish.
No, I'm restoring an 1840 Greek Revival in Poland, where real community organizing builds parks, moves and restores historic homes, builds amphitheatres and shows outdoor movies without grants and handouts from taxpayers.  As the occupiers dream of a hipster downtown, the silent majority in their safe neighborhoods built theirs without entitlements.  Even as we speak the bridge wall behind the Poland library is being patched and painted for this years eighth season of successful movie showing, the pedestrian Reed Memorial Stairway continues to draw prom, graduation and wedding photo backgrounds without subsidy but advertisement sales.  You see free enterprise is alive and well in rural and suburban Ohio.
So please honor the veterans who do not flee but fade away when government betrays them.  Please look at the picture attached and honor those who kept you free.

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on June 25, 2012, 07:37:16 AM
My wife and I were going to restore a beautiful two story brick house on a one acre lot on Lansdowne Ave. until one day about 8 years ago, we went out for lunch and came back an hour later to find that one of the side windows had been broken in a robbery attempt. 

We instead bought a house in Hubbard Township and have never had any problems here.   We didn't wait for the gun to the head.

Vacant houses are targets for theft.

I was burglarized a couple years ago.  Instead of fleeing for the suburbs, I stayed.  I haven't been the victim of a crime, since.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

My wife and I were going to restore a beautiful two story brick house on a one acre lot on Lansdowne Ave. until one day about 8 years ago, we went out for lunch and came back an hour later to find that one of the side windows had been broken in a robbery attempt. 

We instead bought a house in Hubbard Township and have never had any problems here.   We didn't wait for the gun to the head.

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Youngstownshrimp

I must say, after several years of knock down, drag out debates; what are left is people here beginning to realize the actors and institutions who have grandstanded, that they and their ilk are not the answer to Youngstown.  Several of the so called self appointed leaders and nonprofits have ran from this forum when unsuccessful in honest debate.  Inspite of all the feel good rallying and pet projects, the truth is coming out that many occupiers of Youngstown have no personal investment into the City and what manifest itself is the scramble for POWER.  And of course a nice salary to support their efforts.  Notice how these institutions self aggrandize themselves with all the photo ops they can get and the non profits pumping out as much high gloss kudos.  Lately, I read of an article wherein they are justifying small droplets of community projects as a necessary kickstart to the complete transformation of Youngstown.  No folks, I..... like many here, have seen it go on and on and on.
The only cure for Youngstown is what built it to greatness before, pure, raw free enterprise.  Rightsizing as Hunter Morrison proclaimed and Youngstown 2010 which gave Jay Williams his power;  Big question....where are they now......as soon as a bigger paycheck and power position became available they dropped Youngstown as if it was a fillet of walleye from the Mahoning river.  You see, these bloviating "look at us, come walk with me in Wick Park" actors are more concerned with padding their resume's for a power position at your taxpaying expense.   The only leader that will take us out of the third world status is an industrialist, someone from the private sector.  But they will never come, the occupiers have been successful in demonizing anyone who has track record, even alienating the producers from the suburbs.
Very soon, I too will be exiting Youngstown.  After moving from Poland fifteen years ago and investing and working hard to do business in this urban center, I now fully understand that as long as entitled receivers rule and are the majority, there is no place for entrepreneurs in this town.  I didn't have to move from Poland to the City, I decided to take a shot at becoming an urban pioneer.  Having a gun to my head and another gun in my wife's face in our driveway a block from your beautiful Wick Park knocked sense into my head last summer. Oh, these thugs are still running around the northside, so arm yourselves.
For the last eight years, I built a nice store in Poland, joined a real community non profit that actually has built assets, big assets and accomplishments in Poland, I no longer want to be a part of this community.  Funny, all my friends and associates in the suburbs and rural America are saying, "we told you so" , their families left this failure of a City years ago.  Don't worry though, my associates and I will continue to invest and hold assets in Youngstown because we know very soon as you buldoze your way to progress, there will be only beautiful vacant acreage left with all the abandoned City lots returning to greenery. The ghettos will shift outward and what will remain will be in the hands of the silent investors gobbling up your lands.  As the global energy companies continue their onslaught in buying up all the land for the minerals, many of you will be priced out of this market.  This will happen sooner than you realize.  The choice for relocation will not be in the Utica shale region, it most likely be in another run down third world urban center.

Towntalk

Before retiring a second time I did show prep for Youngstown's most popular talk show host churning out 13 to 15 pages of material 7 days a week so I'm not completely unfamiliar with what talk hosts want.

The talkers I supplied were demanding, and they didn't just present one side of an issue as some local talkers on the smaller stations do today.

Personally, I do not listen to Free or WASN, but still use the methods that I used in show prep to get to the heart of issues, but then I have resources that most folks don't have ... a web site that is totally dedecated to news ... local, national and international which is linked to by a number of radio stations that do talk shows.

Here's the link to my web site:

http://reporters.notebook.tripod.com/

jay

With the 2.75 % income tax, businesses and individuals move out of the city to avoid paying the tax.

Those remaining are the unemployed and the elderly who do not have an income to tax.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Towntalk on June 24, 2012, 09:59:32 PMQuote me if I'm wrong but some folks, without doing any homework on their own will hop on the bandwagon of any Tom, Dick, Harry or Maggy that comes down the pike, and even when it is pointed out that their position is the wrong one will not admit it. "If it's on the Louie Free Show, or WASN, it's gotta be right" according to them.

hmmm I dunno if you're wrong or not. I don't listen to the Louie show. 
But now you've got me curious, so I may have to tune in one day.      ;)
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Quote me if I'm wrong but some folks, without doing any homework on their own will hop on the bandwagon of any Tom, Dick, Harry or Maggy that comes down the pike, and even when it is pointed out that their position is the wrong one will not admit it. "If it's on the Louie Free Show, or WASN, it's gotta be right" according to them.

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~