News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

50 More Jobs Lost In Youngstown

Started by jay, February 21, 2012, 08:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Seems like Mr. Santorum, the conservative GOP candidate for president, travels the country with an all or nothing attitude
regarding abortion, but that's besides the point.

I would like to know what amounts to "fair and just" environmental regulations in Ricky's mind?

northside lurker

Not that I think Rick will read my post, but this "all or nothing" attitude is hardly a liberal thing.  I've also witnessed it from conservatives, many times.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

What is it with you liberals and this ALL or NOTHING mentality that you have?  So if we don't regulate a business out of existence then the only other thing is no regulation at all in your mind?  I am so damn sick and tired of year after year getting the same response anytime that it is even mentioned that the amount of environmental regulation is too much.  Some idiotic, brain dead loser will come back with "then you want no regulations and minimum wage".  Have an original thought once in your life and stop regurgitating liberal talking points!!!

You have shown that you do not have a freaking clue about the issue of environmental regulations. It is not worth my time to try to explain it because you do not want to learn, you do not want to be enlightened.  All you want to do is spout this drivel and not take the time to think that perhaps there might be something going on that you do not understand. 

stewie

Are you suggesting that we should have no environmental regulations and workers should work for minimum wage?  Actually minimum wage would be more then the Chinese are paying. I mean the lack of environmental regulations worked out great for the Mahoning River back in the boom of the Steel industry around here. Great Idea!! LOL!

Rick Rowlands

Foundries in the US are non competitive due largely to the high cost of doing business here, mainly a result of governmental regulation and high labor rates.  Parker will most likely outsource the castings to China or India.

Last year a friend who is a local business owner was looking for a domestic supplier for some small ductile iron castings of which he would issue standing purchase orders for 2000 per month.  He was getting them from China for about $1.50 each, and said that he would move the work back to the US even if the cost went to $2.00 each.  Well the cheapest that we could find for him was $4.00 each so naturally the parts are still made overseas.

The environmental regulations for foundries is simply insane, and is why most of them have gone out of business.  Only those who are serving a niche market survive, such as Coronado Steel that specializes in high end near net shape castings.   

jay

Parker Hannifin will close its foundry in Youngstown.   Fifty workers will no longer be needed.