News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Dumbest Intersections???

Started by yfdgricker, December 01, 2005, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Dumb intersections:

How about the two traffic signals on Wilson Avenue that you encounter driving toward Campbell from Himrod?  What is their purpose?  Those side streets have long since given up most of their traffic, and stop signs would be more than adequate for the limited amount of traffic those streets see.

Why aren't any traffic signals on Wick Avenue synchronized?  The worst is the two signals on each side of the bridge over Madison Avenue expressway.  When one is red the other is green and they are about 300 feet apart.  Then all the lights in downtown from Wood street to Front Street.  Five signals in a 1/4 mile and none synchronized.  I love driving through downtown but when I have someplace to go in a hurry I can't afford to be stopping every 500 feet.  Especially not in my stick shift pickup.

Will the city ever put the pavement arrows back at the Albert Street, Route 62 & 7 freeway intersection on the east side?  When driving north on Albert at the signal the road goes to two lanes.  The left lane to turn onto the highway and the right lane to go straight.  I get into the right lane to go straight but some moron will pull up beside me in the turn lane and attempt to go straight!   I've cut off several people here since I have the right of way.    East side driving is totally lawless anyway and there is NO police presence on the east side.

jay

When the East Indianola bridge was refurbished over 680, the stop sign on the east end of the bridge was placed behind the guardrail.  The protective fencing essentially blocked its view.   The stop sign can barely be seen in the photo below as a driver approaches from the west.   At the 3-way stop, it would have been especially difficult for the driver expected to see it to stop in the winter when the bridge, which also slopes downhill,  would be coated with ice or snow.

The stop sign has since been relocated to the outside of the guardrail and is now visible to oncoming traffic.

AllanY2525

I would like to see the City of Youngstown re-install traffic lights in front of
Stambaugh Auditorium, at the intersection of Park and Fifth Avenues.  Fifth
Avenue is a very busy street, four lanes wide at this point and this intersection
is dangerous without any traffic signals.

I never did understand why they removed the traffic lights in the first place.

Allan
:)

yfdgricker

Good one Jay. That certainly is confusing.

jay

I don't like the traffic pattern on the "new" central square.  The problem is driving south on Wick or north on Market.  To make a left turn onto Federal, you have to drive left of the islands.  This is confusing especially at night and even worse when snow covers the lane lines painted on the road surface.

yfdgricker

Ok while killing some time and driving around Youngstown, I got a great idea for a topic. What are some of the dumbest intersections that could use revamping??

There are two I could think of offhand.

1. MLK Jr. Blvd, (Federal St.) and Rayen (near BJ Alan). There is that little thing you have to do when your coming down MLK and you stay on MLK. No one knows how to manuver that intersection event though all you have to do is follow the markings on the street.

2. Poland Ave onto the Market Street side road. This is just past the Wastewater treatment plant on Poland Ave. You have 2 lanes which one goes off up to Market St and the right lane jogs suddenly there. No one ever seems to know which lane they need to do what and the light with the turn arrow is way to small for people to see.

What other intersections in Youngstown do you think could 'use some rethinking'?