News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Erie RR

Started by Towntalk, April 29, 2010, 10:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Jay the bank in the photo would eventually relocate into the Stambaugh Building as People's Bank/Society Bank/Key Bank.

sfc_oliver

City directories are available at the Mahoning valley Historical society. They looked up that old Business card I gave them from the Antler Hotel.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

Does anyone have a City Directory from the 1920's?  We might be able to find a listing for the bank at that corner.

Towntalk

Jay, it was a bank, but I couldn't enlarge it enough to see which bank it was. A City Directory between 1920 - 30 may have the answer.

jay

Question

What used to be in the portion of the building that was removed?

jay

This is the Erie Building today.  You are able to see that the first floor bricks are of a slightly different color than those on the upper levels.

AllanY2525

I don't know when the building was changed, but the cars in
the postcard look like they are from the 1920's or thereabouts....

jay

Allan,

The building today does not have the front first floor jutting out into the street.  When was that part of the building removed?

AllanY2525

Erie R.R. Passenger Terminal

An old post card

Towntalk

Actually it was a parking garage with Fisher Appliance Store on the corner and a Real Estate Agency being another occupant.

Rick Rowlands

A sign that says "Future Home of the Strouss Parking Deck"?  :)

Towntalk

Actually Jay pointed out the clue that dated the picture ... the Strouss Parking Deck which was built in the early 1960's. I didn't expect an acual date as to day and month ... that would have been silly ... but just the year.

And speaking of the Strouss Parking Deck is anyone old enough to remember what was there before the Strouss Parking Deck?

Rick Rowlands

Well without seeing the photo its impossible to guess a date on an image that repeated itself every day for years. Its like taking a picture of a WRTA bus stopping on a street corner and asking someone to guess what day it was taken on. Now if you have a photo that has a couple of elements that can be used to guess an approximate date, well then that would make this game a little more fun.  Aerial photos are great for this.

Towntalk

There was a specific date on the photograph Rick, but since you did mention 1960 - 1971, out of the goodness of my heart I'll accept it.

Answer:
Erie-Lackawanna Railroad Locomotives #828-826 in Youngstown, Ohio on August 15, 1969. Apparently it was a double header.

Rick Rowlands

Well the problem is that this photo could have been taken any time between the 1960 merger of Erie and the DL&W and the formation of Amtrak in 1971.