News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Shift Green

Started by irishbobcat, April 28, 2010, 02:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

I've lookin into green technology and products several times.

Unfortunately I've yet to see a green product that doesn't cost more than its other colored equivalent. I'm not in any position to pay more for less.

irishbobcat

Shift Green

Green America's corporate responsibility director, Todd Larsen, crunched the numbers published by the US Department of Labor for the average American household's 2009 purchases, and came away with an inspiring conclusion. If all American households shift just 10 percent of their current spending to green purchases, we could steer $300 billion toward green jobs and the green economy.

Think about it. That's $300 billion toward businesses that build community... $300 billion toward recycling, composting, and reuse... $300 billion toward reduced energy use... $300 billion toward fair supply chains that protect workers and stop sweatshop abuses.

Equally powerful, the reverse of the equation is true. Shifting 10 percent to green means pulling $300 billion worth of support out of the business-as-usual economy. That's $300 diverted from supporting fossil-fuel expansion... $300 billion pulled from irresponsible, exploitative banks... $300 billion of support denied to big-box stores with questionable sourcing standards and disastrous carbon footprints