News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Single-Payer Health Care Is The Only Right Answer For Ohio

Started by irishbobcat, April 14, 2010, 07:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

One point of order- a Bill is a proposed law that is working its way through Congress.  Once the Bill is passed and signed by the President it becomes a Law.  So discussing the health care bill is a misnomer, it is the health care law.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled bickering.

connie254

IBC, I like that link.
I saw Chris Rock a TV a few weeks ago. He described both of his parents having life threatening issues requiring hospitalization. His father's occurred when Chris Rock was still unknown and the family was poor. His mother was after. His father died and his mother lived. He described the treatment and care for his mother as outstanding and the rooms as good as the finest hotel. The hospital workers went out of their way.His father had a standard room and treatment was under Medicaid. He couldn't believe there was "two hospital systems". 

sfc_oliver

I have a 37 year old nephew who is sort of stuck at about the 11 or 12 year level. He gets SBI I think. Not sure if he gets Medicaid.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

connie254

Quote from: sfc_oliver on April 17, 2010, 04:33:56 PM
See, when it all comes down to it we pretty much agree. I don't know much about HB8, But I don't see any reason not to pass it, if I understood the summary correctly. I don't speak legalese very well.
The lobbyists working against HB8 are working for the insurance companies. Care for autism runs in the 5 digit range yearly. They don't want to pay for it. It gets labeled a pre-existing condition or a mental disorder(listed in DSM-IV along with depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc) and if it does get paid by insurance companies it gets paid under "mental disorders", usually 25-50% of the cost. In my case way back when, they paid for the diagnosis, but nothing else because it was "a chronic condition, never to improve." At that time, my son didn't talk and didn't interact within 2 years of that label, he was talking. I learned a lot from the therapists.
The reason it costs so much is because of the doctors, physical, occupational, and speech therapists and if you're lucky and can afford it, music, animal and other therapists. Take into account the possibility of security systems to alert you if the child opens the door when you're asleep,and other safety items, it becomes very expensive.

sfc_oliver

See, when it all comes down to it we pretty much agree. I don't know much about HB8, But I don't see any reason not to pass it, if I understood the summary correctly. I don't speak legalese very well.

connie254

I never said that.
One of my questions was-who pays for the uninsured right now?
I've had to pay out of pocket for my son's treatment since he was 3 years old for autism. It is not covered under any insurance. It will be interesting to see if you support HB 8 or not-look it up. Lobbyists have stopped it repeatedly. IBC and I both know about autism and fighting the system for our children. We fight it on all fronts-insurance, schooling, treatments, psychiatrists, doctors, the "looks" from other people, families, church, MCBDD, etc. He's now 19 and I will have to fight for him the rest of my life. And see myself going further in debt to care for him. With the bill, I can keep him on my insurance for his non-autism health issues until he's 26.
I have no issue with supporting those who cannot support themselves and support paying for Medicaid/Medicare/unemployment/ any other support.
I have problems with people that think they "deserve" a handout because they made wrong life choices. Or, like my husband's ex-lived in govt housing, on medicaid, took every handout she could, then got upset that someone reported her for operating a business out of that govt housing. She said her neighbors told her how to take advantage of the system. Or the people living on the Southside(or Northside, or Eastside) that walk up and down the street with blue and purple hair, pants down to their knees and claiming they have a disability and can't work. Girls having multiple children and not knowing where these children are, crying when the children are killed by the boyfriend or arrested for whatever.

sfc_oliver

Are you complaining about paying for medicaid?  I have no problem helping those who cannot help themselves. I do have a problem when someone attacks veterans care. That is the only reason I even responded. Now any other questions you have I probably don't care about or don't know enough about to respond to.

Presently my son is paying for his diabetes supplies and medications out of his unemployment check. I will probably pay for his next doctors visit. He will not ask for any other help unless he runs out of all other options.

connie254

Still haven't answered my questions.
Again you put words in my mouth, so to speak.
So I put them in yours, the implication was there, whether the words were said(or written) or not.
Yes, I say a prayer and visit my father's grave and help place flags at the vets' graves.
You're the one implying I'm not patriotic.
My father is the one who taught me to stand up for myself.
Who pays to support the Verteran's Adm.?
Last I looked it was a federal agency and supported by taxpayers.
Oh, and calling IBC "stupid" doesn't help your cause.

I will repeat--you still haven't answered my questions.
Stop the nonsense and answer the questions.

sfc_oliver

And Connie you don't work for my health care. I worked for my health care.

sfc_oliver

Excuse me? I called you names?  I suggest you work on your reading comprehension skills. And Dennis no one asked for your stupidity.

I would also suggest that instead of complaining about free veteran health care, (There is no such thing) that instead you go out and thank a vet.

In fact make sure you attend one of the many services that will be held in Cemeteries around the area on memorial Day. They are there to honor those Veterans who no longer need health care.

connie254

Thanks Irishbob.
I can hold my own but it's nice to know that someone backs me up.
He can't answer questions, just gives the same drumbeating.

irishbobcat

Glad to see Sarge is an Equal Oppoertunity Insulter~~~~

connie254

So I should just shut up and work for your health care?
Read my other comment "I never said you never earned it"
I never talked trash. I stated the facts of healthcare and where monies come from. You don't know those facts. What do you know about HCAP? How about where monies come from for those who don't have insurance right now? Maybe you have an answer for that question.
Social security started out paying for those already 65 and over. Those people never paid into the system. The workers at that time paid for the elderly. Average age of life expectancy was under 65. Life expectancy now+advanced healthcare and that price tag+less workers= a damaged system.
It's easier for you to call me names and degrade me than answer my questions.

sfc_oliver

Good for you, then don't talk trash about people who have worked and earned the health care benefits that they have. Veterans earned theirs and Medicare recipients have earned theirs. And as I stated you still pay premiums for medicare coverage even after you are retired and are on medicare. And by the way the medical care that I receive is part of what I earned in the 22 years I spent in uniform.

I am not mad about losing what was promised to me (and hundreds of thousands of others) When you are around the Government as long as some of us you grow to expect it. I do get mad when anyone criticizes the rights of Veterans who are the only reason we are free today.