News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

Started by irishbobcat, April 09, 2010, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shar

CSA's are fairly new to this area although they have really taken off in the bigger metropolitan areas.  They are a way for communities to support their local farmers by purchasing their seasonal produce.  Elsa has done a lot of work in this area with the CSA's, the community garden that has been started and various other projects.  If I didn't have such a big veggie garden at home I would certainly participate in the CSA.  It's a good way to try new things, you never know what you will get in your box of produce for the week. 

Youngstownshrimp

Thats part of it, but when I gave Elsa a tour of the Eastside and all the available idle land a couple of years ago, the thrust was Urban Agriculture.  This is my problem with all these high profile so called grassroots upstarts like Grow Youngstown, Defend Youngstown, MVOC, Grey to Green, YNDC, Deconstruction,  it seems that they are quick to get their face and names plastered all over the press and when you go out to the field, nothing.  I am not trying to insult anyone, they get me all excited about things happening and then when you try to get involved, they fight you.  At least Bobster, you aren't throwing me under the bus, all I want to do is do projects and not just dance.

irishbobcat

I believe the intent first is to get Youngstown residents to buy locally produced items instead of trucked-in big box store items.

Youngstownshrimp

Why are the large farms outside of YTown?  Early road gardens?  How many acres are they planting?  I thought this grow Youngstown and the MVOC have their interest in YTown?  Isn't it Grow Youngstown?

irishbobcat

CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)
This year, Grow Youngstown continues to support local farmers by acting as a marketing agent and providing administrative support.  The farms in our program are: Crow Family Farms, New Spring Field Ohio (drop location downtown Youngstown), Red Basket Farm, Kinsman, Ohio (drop location downtown Youngstown & Warren), and Early Road Gardens (pick-up location east side of Youngstown).  In addition, Grow Youngstown will run distribution of produce into low income neighbors and offer shares between 12.50 and 15 a week to people of low -income.

Reasons to Join a CSA
1) It supports the local agriculture economy by putting dollars in the hands of local farmers and providing an incentive to expand their capacity.
2) Each CSA farm has workshare opportunities located in Kinsman, Youngstown and New Springfield.
3) Grow Youngstown takes no adminsitrative fee, all of your money goes directly to the farmer growing your food, which benefits the farmer and the local tax base, keeping food dollars within the tri-county region.
4) Pricing ranges from 380.00 to 480.00, with 18 week and 21 week deliveries.  **You can also do 1/2 shares, though you must partner with someone to make arrangements for payment and pick-up.
5) Financial support and weekly pay option is provided for anyone whose income is below 200% of the poverty level.
For a contract call  Elsa Higby 212 255 3505 or email elsa@growyoungstown.org