News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Solar powered home

Started by Towntalk, October 14, 2009, 11:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

That what Feed-In-Tariffs are for......if you produce excessive electricity, the electric company has to pay you back for your production to your neighborhood grid.

Why?Town

Quote from: jay on October 15, 2009, 06:41:16 AM
I asked the question about excess home electricity production at the recent solar homes tour.  I was told that if your home produces more than it uses, the utility may buy your production but at the wholesale rate only.  Additionally, you would have to pay income tax on your earnings.

I have read about states requiring a minimum amount of exess electricity to be able to sell back to the utilities. Generally this minimum is industrial sized.

jay

I asked the question about excess home electricity production at the recent solar homes tour.  I was told that if your home produces more than it uses, the utility may buy your production but at the wholesale rate only.  Additionally, you would have to pay income tax on your earnings.

AllanY2525

The thing that caught my eye the most in the article is this:

The house produces more energery than it consumes, and the excess energy
produced is sold back TO the power company.

Now, think about not only the cost savings of having NO utility bills, but also the
REVENUE generated by selling excess energy to the utility company - and then
multiply the combined amount by 30 years or so....

If you look at all of this (the "big picture") then the price for the house is actually
quite reasonable, even though it is a rather small house.

Towntalk

Dan:

Have you priced the total cost of all the equipment and material that would be needed in a totally solar home?

Dan Moadus

$283,000 For a 800 square foot home? Maybe these solar panels aren't quite ready for "prime time".

northside lurker

A co-worker's son is on the Ohio State team.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison