News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

For Dennis

Started by Towntalk, June 24, 2008, 07:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

This is why a current up to date satellite map would be helpful. It's too bad that Google will not allow us to download their maps, but if we could get a team together to work with the Google map, we could put together a useable map that would locate those areas in the city that have open spaces where solar panel/windmill farms could be located.

While the Google map is not current, there has been so little redevelopment in the city that it will be useable.

irishbobcat

I agree. We need alternative energy programs for Y-town residents....no matter how small they may be.

We need to find exact locations where renewable energy sources could be palced within the city.

Dennis Spisak-Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative-60th district

campaign site: HttP://votespisak.tripod.com

Towntalk

Dennis:

You might have to go through Congressman Ryan's office to get the maps. I tried the U.S. Geological Survey web site and while they have the kind of map you would need, it's a Google map that can not be downloaded, and anyway it's over a year old. I checked the area around my house and saw that it is not current.

You might also try getting mapping from EDATA as they would have current maps of the kind I have in mind.

I doubt if the Public Library would have current ariel maps of Youngstown. They might have topographical maps, but these maps do not show structures and streets, and would not be helpful for the project.

jay

I agree.   The city of Youngtown should start a program to provide alternative energy for its residents.  It's about time that our city is in the forefront of innovative solutions to our problems.

Towntalk

Dennis:

In looking at a Google satellite map of Youngstown this afternoon and was amazed at just how much empty space there is inside the city. More in fact than I had expected, and is a wider area of the city than I expected on every side of town.

Here is an idea that you might want to explore.

1.   Put together a full citywide satellite map of Youngstown in one full map.
2.   Circle those large areas of empty land.
3.   Based on information from companies that manufacture Solar Panels and Wind Mills, show just how much area of the city could be powered by Green Energy.
4.   Estimate how many units could be placed on these empty areas.

I suspect that most of the city could be covered.

Now I know that I’m a skeptic, but I’m not so skeptical that I’m not open to exploring the possibility of creating such “farms”, and when I read about Trumbull County trying this, the project becomes more realistic.

If these farms were owned by the City of Youngstown, it would be a good revenue source as well as being great for the environment and a positive news item for the city.