News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Support Green Jobs Act

Started by irishbobcat, June 19, 2008, 09:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Watch the intersting video......

why we need green jobs for the future.......

for our economic future.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixIubW5wiI

Towntalk

Dennis:

Could you please advise me as to the actual Bill numbers so that I can post both the actual bills and the bill's history both here and on my web site.

While the information you provided is helpful, those choosing to contact their representatives will need more information before they can contact their representatives.

Send this info to me through my web site http://farrell-report.tripod.com and not here so that I can get onto it quicker. I will need bill numbers.

When I get the information I will most certainly go to work on it gladdly.

irishbobcat

Support The Green Jobs Act and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant

June 20, 2008

With gas prices climbing every day, there's no shortage of people here and in Washington talking about renewable sources of energy. 

Right now, Members of Congress are about to decide whether to fund job-training programs that would prepare American workers to build and maintain clean, new sources of energy for our country.

We need Congress to support full funding for two vital initiatives -- the Green Jobs Act and the Green Block Grant Program:

Together, these programs would invest over $1.1 billion to provide critical training for green-collar jobs, help lift people out of poverty, and build cleaner, more sustainable communities around the country.

Today marks the beginning of a critical time in the house and senate as appropriations sub-committees decide the fate of two key green-collar jobs programs. We chalked up a major victory last fall when the Green Jobs Act and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program were approved as part of the energy bill. However, that achievement will mean very little if the programs do not receive funding in the 2009 Appropriations Bill.

Last year, with your support, the community program Green For All helped ensure that the 2007 Energy Bill included two critical provisions: the Green Jobs Act and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program. Once they are fully funded, these two provisions will dramatically boost the prospects for green-collar job development in the United States.

The Energy Bill authorized funding levels for both of these provisions. Now Congress needs to appropriate the money for them. As soon as two weeks from now, Appropriations committees in Congress will vote whether or not to fund these two vital programs.

A fully funded Green Jobs Act will distribute $125 million per year to identify needed skills, develop training programs, and train workers for jobs in a range of green industries. That's enough money to train 30,000 people in green trades - every year. It targets a broad range of populations for eligibility, but it has a special focus on creating "green pathways out of poverty." In other words, this Act can connect the people who MOST need work - to the work that MOST needs to get done.

A fully funded Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program will distribute $2 billion per year to cities and local governments for energy conservation, energy audits, fuel conservation programs, and the use of renewable energy. These "Green" block grants could create tens of thousands of green-collar jobs - accessible to low-income city residents who most need opportunities and careers.

We must work hard to make sure that Congress understands the importance of funding these green-collar jobs programs. The budget submitted to Congress by the Bush Administration eliminates and under-funds a broad range of worthy programs. Therefore, Congress must wrestle with many competing priorities as its members attempt to make up for this shortfall and pass an Appropriations Bill for 2009.

The Green Jobs Act and the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant Program are essential investments in green-collar job creation and job training. These programs will be fundamental to building an inclusive green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty.

As the Independent Green Party Candidate for State Representative for the 60th district, I support this bill and I ask that you write to your member of Congress to see that this bill is passed to help bring renewable energy jobs and programs to the poor, working, and middle class of Ohio and America.

Dennis Spisak- Campaign Site: Http://votespisak.tripod.com

Please check our links page for renewable energy programs.