News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Save the State Theatre

Started by northside lurker, January 09, 2007, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Amen to that. I'm sure, ... no, I'm positive that the new owner of the Paramount would welcome their help based on what he posted a Cinema Treasures recently.

As for the front of the old State Theater is concerned, if it could be removed safely, it would look good on the back of the Oakland that faces West Federal Street.

northside lurker

Frankly, I don't think the State project will get off the ground.  From what I've been told, and from the pictures, it might actually be cheaper to tear down the auditorium and start over with new construction. (we need to save the entrance facade if at all possible, though)

I'm also worried that if they do generate some momentum, that it would take away from any momentum that the Paramount project has gained.  When it's made clear to them the amount of work needed to save the State, maybe they could be encouraged to put their energy into helping the Paramount project instead?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Mary

First off I agree that this is not a pressing issue for the city. We have several theaters that are not doing very well as of late from what I have heard/read. However these "kids" are the future leaders of this community. And at least they are getting involved with something. They could not care at all.  And I can tell you from experience not all the agencies are "thrilled" to have people try to help them. We had a group this summer that wanted to raise food and money for a local group. The agency was all for it until at the very last minute some idiot decided because it was a college class they didn't want their name associated with it. We couldn't plan well enough is what was said. We went ahead with the event because everything was in place and it turned out great. We even got a letter from them thanking us. But all of us said we will never help that group again because of their attitude and rudeness.
Most people that start businesses had to start with no experience... They have to get it somewhere.  I am in the process of starting a business that I plan to keep inside the city. I am 25 years old and have a sound business plan.
As I said though this project is a bit large for any group, even one with experience.

Towntalk

Here are five photos that one of our members took of the interior of the State Theater a couple of years ago.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/110166446hDemuk

Towntalk

Heavens no. There is though a very big difference. Those wonderful folks that have set up businesses downtown had both experience in their fields, and a sound business plan that included finance.

You can not, or at least should not hand a group of inexperienced youngsters millions of dollars and expect them to use sound business judgement.

To restore the old State Theater requires a major investment, and architects don't come cheap nor do contractors or building materials.

That building can not be restored by amatures. It would take licensed contractors from beginning to end, and someone experienced as a general contractor to oversee the entire job.

What experience has any of these folks had in this sort of work?

Would you trust a group of tenagers to renovate your home? I doubt it.

To bring a theater up to code is far more complicated than remodeling a store that would be selling clothing or a restaurant.

Structural engineers, electricians, masons, plumbing and heating contractors, roofers, painting contractors, and all this just to restore the building. Then there is the matter of furnishing it.

The main floor alone would have to be torn up and reconfigured. When it became a nite club, the floor was leveled and can no longer be used as a theater until the floor is restored to its original design.

Then there is the stage and back stage area. Just how safe is the present stage, what is the condition of the electrical boards? Are there dressing rooms? And then there is the matter of curtains that are specially made for theaters as well as flys.

No question about it, a new sound system and projectors will be needed as well as stage lighting and a screen. Even a used projector costs thousands of dollars and at the very least two would be required.

Then we come to the fun part, the heating and electric bills. They would have to be paid on time each month and would be in the thousands of dollars. That means that they would have to have something going on seven days a week drawing in large audiences. I hardly think that they have a sugar daddy hidden away that would foot those bills.

Finally we come to the matter of employees ... all of whom would be union. Stage hands, electricians, projection operators, a stage manager, a General Manager, an accountant, and a Publicity Director to handle advertisements.

Oh. and then there is the matter of insurance fire insurance, property insurance, liability insurance etc.

Did I forget anything?

I did. The balcony. How safe is it? The balcony would have to be certified by a Structural Engeneer before it could be used, and any problems would have to be addressed. Given the building's age and the amount of time it stood empty, the entire balcony may have to be torn down and rebuilt, or left out of the final design.

northside lurker

I guess I should have been clearer in my response. (and I should have checked my spelling, too.)  I wasn't trying to imply anything about your original responses.  The people I was referring to in my previous post aren't here.  They are easy to find at other notorious message boards, though.

I don't agree that anyone who has the energy to do something for the area should feel obligated to focus their energy on fixing its problems.  Sure, the problems need addressed and they can't continue to be ignored.  But that doesn't mean other things can't/shouldn't happen.  Should the new businesses/restaurants/clubs downtown close their doors because the owners should have been spending their time addressing Youngstown's crime problem?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

I'm not "rediculing", but stating facts.

Youngstown is faced with major problems ... very serious problems ... we all know about the crime problem that is tearing this city apart at it's very core, and until this is solved, those venues that are already here will be driven out of the city just to survive.

If these young people would expend as much energy on helping address these problems as they are at ventures that will go nowhere, then they will get my full support.

Just think for a moment the agencies that would welcome them. They could do so much good.

northside lurker

I think they are just kids.  One is still in high school, and the other graduated in '05.  I don't think they know what they would be getting into, and what's really needed.

If I go, I can be a "nice" voice of reason.  There are enough people in this area who would rather ridicule them for trying at all.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

From Howard Aley's book "A Heritage To Remember" at page 285 --

" The State and Cameo Theaters opened during the year; by late fall, the State had installed "Movietone" equipment bringing sound to the screen."

The Liberty/Paramount was completed in 1917 (Ibid. pg. 186)

Towntalk

It would be helpful if the person who created the State site got his facts streight.

The Paramount is the oldest remaining theater building NOT THE STATE!

A look at a Sanbourn Fire Insurance map will establish that fact.

It would be nice if some group could come up with the millions of dollars that it would take to restore this theater, but who has that much money? The folks that are trying to restore the Liberty/Paramount are having a hard time coming up with the money, and they have a better track record.

Of course we could take money away from Fire and Police protection cut back on road repairs and other mandadted services in order to get the money. We could also pass a bond levey and throw the city deeply in debt just to please a very small handfull of thoughtless people who aren't prepared to risk their own money.

northside lurker

I have heard there will be a meeting this Friday at 7pm at Cedars for people who are interested in trying to save the State Theatre.
http://www.myspace.com/youngstownstatetheater

I'd like to go, but need to figure out how I can get home first.
--Thomas Edison