News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Election 2008 - Machine or Paper

Started by Towntalk, November 24, 2007, 02:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

It says that President Clinton said hello to Mayor Williams.
Campbell's Mayor is John Dill.

Quote from: YtownNewsandViews on November 02, 2008, 10:25:32 PM
Well I kind of got a hunch it was JAY when he said this:

Quote from: YtownNewsandViews on November 02, 2008, 10:25:32 PM

AllanY2525

As a seventeen year veteran of the Internet and Technology sector (who
worked in the electronic fraud and security division for several years)
I do NOT feel comfortable with the concept of online voting via the
Internet.

I feel that the Internet is still too much of a "jungle out there".  Technology
moves at the speed of light in our age and times, and the hackers just move
right along with it.  Some of our best security defenses were developed by
using technology created by HACKERS themselves.

Then there is the issue of the "digital divide" (see the WikiPedia link below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_divide

"To err is only human - to really mess things up, you need a computer... "

ytowner

Quote from: Smokey362 on November 02, 2008, 11:40:10 AM
Former President Clinton was here in Campbell the other day.  President Clinton said hello to Mayor Williams.  Our mayor was no where to be seen.

Why?Town

I voted early. Paper ballots were the only option.

My mother-in-law works at the polls every year. This year they are supposed to give everyone the option of paper ballots.

ForumManager

I think that Smokey was saying that the mayor of Campbell wasn't present.

ytowner

Quote from: Smokey362 on November 02, 2008, 11:40:10 AM
Former President Clinton was here in Campbell the other day.  President Clinton said hello to Mayor Williams.  Our mayor was no where to be seen.  You would think our Mayor would have introduced President Clinton.  I mean......this was the biggest thing to happen to Campbell, Ohio since JFK came here and that was a long time ago.  I wonder where our Mayor WAS???
Mayor Williams is the Mayor of Youngstown, not Campbell.

Smokey362

Former President Clinton was here in Campbell the other day.  President Clinton said hello to Mayor Williams.  Our mayor was no where to be seen.  You would think our Mayor would have introduced President Clinton.  I mean......this was the biggest thing to happen to Campbell, Ohio since JFK came here and that was a long time ago.  I wonder where our Mayor WAS???

Towntalk

I received the card yesterday, but I will be using the application from the Boards web site.

DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY. The folks at the Board of Elections will be going over them with a fine tooth comb.

I've voted Absentee every year since 2000 and I go to the Board of Elections website for the application and make copies of the documentation to send in with it and have had no problems. It usually takes 3 to 4 days from the time I send in the application for me to get the ballot, and again, make sure that you follow the instructions and include copies of the documents they require (Drivers License/State ID etc.).

ForumManager

I've never received  the absentee ballot in the mail.  A friend of mine was house bound last spring due to an injury and her sister brought her an application which she had to complete first before being able    get the ballot.

QuoteAlso, a voter may request to vote on a paper ballot when at the polls.

Do they make that public? 
Is there a sign at the polls? Are voters told that? 
People trust the system and don't question it.

jay

If you live in Mahoning County, you should have already received an application for absent voter's ballot in the mail.  Fill it out and send it in.  You then will receive a paper ballot by mail, and you can vote from the comfort of your home.

Also, a voter may request to vote on a paper ballot when at the polls.

ytowner

ForumManager

This subject has come up many times over the last few years.
I viewed a documentary  today called "uncounted."
This program aired on Starz. 

The movie deals with questionable activities in recent years.
Fair voting is a non partisan issue and  all Americans should be concerned.

This documentary covers many aspects of how votes can be miscounted or manipulated but the most shocking of the segments talk about the voting machines and how they can be hacked or manipulated.

The official movie site is
http://www.uncountedthemovie.com

Here is a youtube page with excerpts from the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/UNCOUNTEDTHEMOVIE
The last two links on the first page... Bruce Funk and  Clint Curtis are especially alarming.

our2cents

When our own Gov admits they've been hacked by chinese groups oveseas, what would make you think they wouldn't play with our elections in some way to their liking?  I mean, it was done for many voting awards already.

If it could be done totally safe & isolated in some way, then I say go for it.  But otherwise, I'm not ready to risk my country's history and safety just to make a few more comfortable. 

Rick Rowlands

We ll why wouldn't web voting work?  I think there would be much more voter participation since it would be more convenient.  There are ways to verify identity and prevent hackers from getting into the system. Billions of dollars are spent through websites every year, yet casting a vote is way too complex to be done online. Pleeeeze!

The whole world is moving everything to computers yet some people are still discussing paper voting.  Talk about backward government.

our2cents

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on November 25, 2007, 10:07:13 PM
I want to vote from home on a secure website at my convenience.  Just eliminate election day, polling places and all this crap.  Let Google run it, they seem to know what they are doing. 

Haha.  That would be a cluster**** for sure.