News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

How Many Of The "F" School Systems Closed All Day Because Of The Weather?

Started by jay, January 19, 2016, 11:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

I don't remember seeing Busses at any of my schools...And We walked about a mile to Middle school... From East Delason to Princeton..
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Peggy Gurney

I have no idea, as Ed has never gone to YCS. However, when he entered HS at Summit Academy, they told us that since YCS does not not bus their high schools, that the charter schools can't either because they depend on YCS buses.  I called a few of the charter schools at that time (this was about 3 yrs ago) and asked if they bused their HS kids and was told no, because they depend on Youngstown buses, and since Yo does not bus their high schools, the charter school can't either.
~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

ForumManager

In YCS the buses you see at the secondary schools are bringing kids from the other sides of town.

cc4

I am a little confused by the busing discussion.  I pass both Volney and Chaney High School on the

way home from work and see plenty of buses lined up.  Isn't the same thing going on at East since

these students are coming from different parts of the city now?  As far as the schools starting at different

times, this is true in most districts that have different time schedules for elementary and upper class students.

Everything runs on that two hour delay with classes shortened accordingly to accommodate

the number of classes scheduled.

Rushblvd

Good point Peggy-I for one did not know that about the busses. Thanks

Peggy Gurney

Another reason is that many of these kids have to walk to school.  Remember, Youngstown does not bus middle and high school students.
So if their parents decide not to send them, then their absence is a mark on their attendance record, which in turn affects their grade.
I'd rather see school closed for a day or two, than to have their grade affected. They have enough going against them with a poor school district.

~ Normal is overrated ~

northside lurker

Aren't the "F" schools also the poorest schools?  I know a lot of work has been done to give coats to needy children this year, but I'm guessing the poorest districts are staying closed all day because their kids are most likely not to have sufficient winter clothing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Peggy Gurney

I hate the 2 hour delays. Most parents do. Either close or don't. That way parents can make arrangements for their kids.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Irishbobcat

The reasons schools close or go on delays is as complicated as why gas is $1.66 on Youngstown-Poland Rd. and $1.79 on South Ave. Don't even try and figure it out.

iwasthere

Why?Town

Quote from: iwasthere on January 19, 2016, 01:47:33 PM
Ycs cannot do a two hour delay because ycs do not stArt at the same time.

This makes NO sense.  Austintown schools stagger start times so there are enough busses to go around. I imagine ySc is similar. When every school starts 2 hrs late the busses just do their normal routes 2 hrs later.....when it's a whopping 2.5 degrees warmer, which doesn't make any sense either.

Why?Town

What the heck are these days off for cold weather? It's a bunch of BS. The kids these days are going to grow up as the biggest bunch of wimps on the planet (some already have).

When I went to HS in Girard in the 80's we only had 5 or 6 REAL snow days the whole four years.

jay

The "F" school systems were Campbell, Warren and Youngstown.

Systems closed down for the entire day on Tuesday were Campbell, Warren and Youngstown.

iwasthere

Ycs cannot do a two hour delay because ycs do not stArt at the same time.