News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Computer Update

Started by Towntalk, November 18, 2015, 05:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

If you were here, I'd trust you to take me to Windows 10 my friend, but on my own, I would only mess things up real bad. You're the expert, and I sure ain't in spite of the number of years I've been using these bloody machines and I ain't ashamed to admit it. I've gone from a Vic 20 all the way up to what I have right now, and I don't remember just how many computers I've gone through but through it all, the only time I got a new OS was if I bought a new computer. As I see it, I've had computers for about 28 years and I don't know any more about them than day 1.

AllanY2525

I was actually suprised at how well the Windows 10 updater worked on my desktop machine
(was Windows 7) and a Windows 8.1 tablet that I have.  It configured everything from
my older versions of Windows and did it almost perfectly.

The only problem I had with my tablet after the upgrade was that the touch screen was
out of calibration, but I found a fix for that online and now it works fine.

I also upgraded an older laptop I have (what I call my "daily driver") that was set up with
Windows Vista and Android (dual boot) and it even got THAT one right.  It now runs Windows
10 and Android, with a selection menu that asks me to choose which operating system I want
to load when I first turn it on. 

I'm not Microsoft's biggest fan, but I have to give credit where credit is due... overall they
made the update process pretty much painless, and I DO like Windows 10... it takes a
little getting used to, but it runs about as fast as Windows 7 did and the new features are
pretty cool, now that I've had some time to start playing around with them.

One of the coolest features I've seen is the ability to make comments on a web page, circle
items, etc. and then share it with other people.

Towntalk

I have firefox and I use that when I'm paying my bills etc. because most of the people I owe - TimeWarner; Ohio Edison ATT no longer support my version of Explorer. I like Firefox except for one thing. if I want to send a link I can't - same with Chrome. I'm running Vista OS but would upgrade to Windows 10 IF I could find someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me si that they could preserve all my favorites over to Windows 10. Youngstown Computer wants nothing to do with my computer because they said that it's too old. I do 100% of my business with this computer and while it gives me fits, it still gets my work done and that is all I care about. 50% of my time is either listening to my music or old time radio shows and it works just fine. I'm not a gamer so I'm happy with the three card cames that came with the computer.

AllanY2525

This is to be expected.... Windows XP came out in 2003, it's now a twelve year old operating system.

Microsoft's new web browser, called the Edge browser, is MUCH more secure than Internet Exploder...
ahem..... make that.... EXPLORER...lol.

The bad hackers out there have had many years to exploit vulnerabilities in Windows XP.  In the mean
time, Windows Vista has a little less than two years of support and updates remaining, and Windows 7
has a little less than five years of support and updates remaining.

I use Mozilla Firefox, as it is much more secure than Internet Explorer anyways... and Firefox is constantly
updating their browser to keep up with things.

In the mean time, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome have versions that will run under Windows Vista,
Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 - take your pick.  Mozilla keeps older versions of Firefox
archived online, for those using older versions of Windows.

Towntalk

Be prepared to trash your current operating system and go to Windows 10 NOW because by next August 1, 2016 none of the browsers will support anything earlier and you will be left vulnerable to every sort of virus known to man. Already many web sites we use to do business at will no longer support earlier browsers. Google Chrome also said that as of next July 29 (my birthday) they will no longer support Windows XP or Vista.