News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"OakHill Cemetery Linked to Mill Creek Park"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 01, 2015, 11:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Youngstown has a LOT of vacant land that should be allowed to go back to nature.  The city
should be trying to add as much as it can to Mill Creek Park.  Once it becomes woods, it
will all become zero-maintenance for the city.

Youngstownshrimp

Youngstownshrimp

I believe it is Joseph st. and Plumb st.I was on the other day driving around the historic Oak Hill Cemetery.  Just the way those side streets of sometimes brick seemed to have been laid out many years ago, being the older part of Youngstown, reminded me of Williamsburg or historic Hanoverton here in Ohio.  Most of the land is returning to acreage and many of the homes have been demoed.  The topography also is hilly and history for a long ago black stone cutter quarried the sandstone providing Youngstown with building block.  I believe the land between Oakhill, Glenwood, Falls and 680 is part of Spring Commons and should become a part of Mill Creek Park.

A lot of this land is already in the City Land bank and much more are abandoned tax delinquent.  These parcels are mostly wooded and would require no maintenance.  Oak Hill Cemetery is a Jewel and will be protected more if linked to Mill Creek.  Volney Rodgers had vision long ago and grabbed as much land as he could for future generations.  YNDC on Canfield rd. has pushed for revitalizing land in that corridor.  The Oakhill Collaborative is located on Oakhill and would be perfect leadership to spearhead a project like this.  Actually the assemblage can be accomplished very expediently if the public sector and private sector can unite, I know how.  :) [size=78%]  [/size]