News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Passenger Rail Service For Youngstown (?)

Started by jay, November 05, 2008, 07:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Westsider,  the route for the passenger service would be the NS from downtown Cleveland on the former PRR to Ravenna.  Then crossover to the CSX ex B&0 mainline to run through Youngstown to New Castle (Mahoningtown) then take an existing crossover back to the NS Youngstown Line to Rochester, then run on the NS former PRR Mainline to Pittsburgh Union Station.  The logical place to use for a station is the B&O station as had been done in the past.  The part that I object to is the idea of reusing the Erie terminal building or bringing the passenger train back over the Mahoning to run on the northeast side of the river to bring it near the Chevy Center.

Putting in the connection at Ravenna would be childsplay compared to the cost of relocating the trackage through Youngstown.

Towntalk

I just created an album for the Erie RR, and have a photo of the Leader Terminal Building which was the freight station for both the Erie RR and the P&LE RR. along with a map to help locate it.

Leah

I would love to be able to take a commuter train to Cleveland, Akron or Pittsburgh.

I'm a full time student at YSU.  When I finish my degree, I plan to go to law school or grad school.  Obviously, YSU doesn't have a law school and also doesn't offer a masters or PHD in my field of study.  The closest cities that have facilities that meet my educational goals are in Cleveland, Akron and Pittsburgh.

I'm dreading the long commute.  I don't know how I will be in class several hours a day, be in my car several more hours a day and still find time to study while taking care of 3 children and working part time.  But, it has to be done for my family's future, so I'll do it.

Would make my life a heck of a lot easier in a few years, if I could commute to school by train, rather than drive.  I would save a ton of money on transportation costs and be able to use the commute time to study or, God forbid, actually RELAX.  :-)

Thought I agree that this won't solve all of our problems, I can already see how it would make a tremendous difference in my life.  I'm sure there are others out there in similar situations.

It also might encourage more people to continue to live in the area.  There are many people out there who can't find jobs in their chosen fields and must work out of town.  I'm sure they eventually get sick of the commute and move closer to their jobs.  I would love to be able to enjoy the affordability of Youngstown, even if I had to commute to work/school by train.  Low cost of living + higher wages of another city= more money to put into the local economy.

Towntalk

How many of you have memories of ever riding on a steam powered train before they were taken out of service, excursion train rides don't count so in answering you will age yourself.

I can remember one ride when my Grandmother took me on a trip to visit my Aunt. That was back in the 1940's and the railroad was the Pennsylvania RR.

On my Webshots site I have started posting photos of railroads that serviced Youngstown and started with the New York Central RR. Enjoy.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ladynews500

Towntalk

That station started out its life as the passanger station for the Lake Central & Michigan Rail Road and later the New York Central.

It was a beautiful station.

It was also at one time headquarters for the local model railroad club.

Does anyone happen to have any photos of this building, especially interior shots?

Smokey362

Many years ago, there WAS a passenger terminal.  It was right on the curve accross from the old Vivo Scrap yard.  The place was actually beautiful.  Someone tore it down.  When I was a child, we used to get on the Pittsburg & Lake Erie Railroad train and ride it to Pittsburgh.  It's amazing at how quickly people decide to tear something down and then 30 years later wish that it was still there.  My father was a Conductor on the P&LE Railroad.....they went out of business right after Youngstown Sheet & Tube did...I worked for both of them.

ForumManager

Perhaps we can  market ourselves as a bedroom community  for both Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I know of MANY people that now commute to both cities.

The city itself  is downsizing but the suburbs are also part of this community.

If we have mass transit, commuting would be less of an issue.

northside lurker

Rick, as I understand it, rail service to Youngstown is just part of a larger project.  Are you suggesting that Youngstown should be bypassed in creating rail service between Cleveland and Pittsburgh?

Did you look at the threads I linked to on UrbanOhio that I linked to on the previous page?  What is your take on their discussion?  It seems to me that the biggest hurdle would be connecting the CSX and N-S lines in Ravenna.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

I hate to break it to you guys and gals but at some point the free ride on money created from thin air will end, and absolutely stupid projects such as rebuilding miles of trackage to bring rail passenger service into Youngstown will have to meet with reality.  I remember when we had passenger sevice and only a handful ever used it.    Rail service is an idea for growing cities that have congestion problems, not shrinking cities.  Remember one of the basic tenets of Youngstown 2010. 

We don't need rail service to Youngstown. We don't need air service to Youngstown. We really don't.  What we need are to PAVE A FEW DAMN ROADS!!!!!!!!!   I can't even drive through Youngstown anymore.  I got two flat tires in six months just driving through town, and you all want to talk about grandiose boondoggles such as relaying the Erie to the Terminal building.  Get a grip on reality people.

Towntalk

B.J. Allen owns the former PRR passanger station building as part of his fireworks business.

Elmo-Ytown

Frangos owns the Erie building, and according to his website the first floor is being marketed for small business's and the second through sixth floors are to be housing. According to the Vindicator state and federal grants have already been approved for this project.

TommyDawg

Has anyone ever written a book on the history of railroads - freight, passenger, industrials, etc. - in and around Youngstown and the MV  ?

What is the status of the former PRR depot at 555 MLK Blvd ?  It was built in 1948 but the Pennsy discontinued passenger service from Cleveland to Youngstown in 1964. Does it still exist ?  What business if any occupies the building ?

Thanks,
Tom

Towntalk

Yes it is BUT as I understand, the Erie building is to be mixed use.

As to the Leader Terminal building, it is the large building behind Number 1 Fire Station, between Fifth and Belmont Avenue.

As I said, it was built to handle Erie RR Freight, and had some small businesses in it.

By taking one section of the building and converting it into a passanger station, it could undergo a rebirth by converting other parts of the building into units for small businesses.

The RR right of way allowed for several tracks and linked to the mainline just east of Andrews Avenue. The overhead track bridge just off E. Federal at Andrews Avenue was for the Erie tracks.

The only disadvantage would be that there would be RR crossings at Fifth Avenue, Hazel Street and Wick Avenue again, but the advantages would be that the station would be able to stay open 24/7 and wouldn't have to compete with special events at the B&O, and another advantage would be that the Leader could also be home base for Independent Cab.

If the Youngstown Incubator were involved, the remaining portions of the building could be used for some of the businesses it is working with.

northside lurker

Isn't the Erie Terminal building also privately owned?  Eventually,.. it is to be converted into apartments.  The tax credits have already been approved.

I might have linked to this site before, but look at the first two articles on the last page of the thread (page 36) might be of some interest:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,1414.1050.html

Here's another information-packed thread about possible Cleveland-Youngstown-Pittsburgh rail service.
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,15885.0.html
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Elmo-Ytown

Not familiar with either of those buildings, got pictures?