News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

More good news about the Wick Park Neighborhood!

Started by northside lurker, December 17, 2012, 08:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

We can only pray you're right, and that we can see some folks like the Tod's, the Wick's and the Andrews' see the opportunity to gain more riches via energy and use their power here, because in the past, when these families were active, they, not the political maggots ran the city and everyone prospered according to their works, and that's the way it should be.

When a person has a cancer, he has it cut out and the current politicians are without question a cancer on our city, but lacking the proper private sector leadership, the folks here will keep these maggots in office.

Oh yes, the likes of folks like Louie Free will get us nowhere even if the Spindecator thinks he's great. We need men like Chauncey Andrews to lead us out of the morass we find ourselves in.

Youngstownshrimp

What will ultimately change the Wick Park neighborhood for the better is the influx of energy money, it is what is stimulating eastern Ohio today and this is fact.  It is not the hipster non-profit movement, it is not the subsidized boom in downtown, it is the massive amount of capital needed to exact a turn around of a City that is the poster child of deindustrialization.
As I vacate Youngstown, my business will continue to own and operate our assets and thank God we divested our rentals over a decade ago and invested in land when the locals disrespected it and abandoned it.  What many will see in the next five years will be the erasure of more substandard housing stock in the City and the return to acreage of all the parcels.  Most of the acreage is now in the hands of investors for the energy.  The residential parcels will soon be gobbled up as they now have value.  Youngstown will be the new rural lands and the suburbs will be the new "hood."
Those of you who remain will suddenly see your property values rise and you will be surrounded by new growth woods and larger farms, not the pork gardens of the nonprofits, those will be defunded.  Those here familiar with what I have written in the past know that I tend to be right in my predictions.

AllanY2525

Ron -

The Northside Coalition has pretty much sold the properties they bought from Mark Mallen several years ago
from what people close to the group have told me.      The biggest mistake made by them was not checking the
titles more thoroughly before buying them.   Mr. Mallen had hundreds of thousands of dollas in loans against
these properties so they didn't have clear title. 

The coalition worked long and hard to get clear title to these properties so they could sell them free and clear.

The net result of their efforts?  They may not have succeeded in the rental industry.  Hell, I am still struggling to
expand.     But new owners have been moving into them  and are putting cash, blood, sweat and tears into these
historic homes to fix them up. 

The neighborhood has gone from a state of decay to one of recovery and the homes have been saved from the
wrecking ball.  Volunteers and  members of the coalition made all this possible.

It really saddens me that the apartment building is scheduled for demolition.  It's structurally still solid and I'm
willing to sell or even donate the place to a buyer who can show proof that they will be able to repair the building

That said, I do understand the neighbors wanting the place torn down - they deserve to have a neighborhood
free of run down properties and I had no intentions of being a "bad actor" in the neighborhood.   

Youngstownshrimp

Sadly, what the hipster movement does is first to paint you as a hero investor when you first buy YukTown real estate.  After you spend your last nickel and drop of sweat, you find the strippers have prepared your property for demolition.  Now you become the slumlord that you once despised and the cycle begins once again.  I've seen this over and over again, Northside coalition comes to mind,they were going to show landlords how it is done, now they are insolvent and have become slumlords themselves.

AllanY2525

Everyone -I own the woodbine apartments building and I have been trying to sell it for a lomg time now.
The neighborhood has already gotten the building on the demo list but Im hoping until the last that someone
can save the place.  I think it would add to the neighborhood to have it rehabbed and full of life again.

I tried my best to save the place, put a new roof on it, etc but things didn't work out financially - I have no regrets,
however as it it still better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all.  It was a learning experience - too
big a project to start out with.

If anyone knows any investors who might be interested in the property please let me know.

In the mean time, my property on Illinois is occupied, city-licensed and doing fine.  With the apartment building
sold (hopefully) I can get another property finished and occupied.

Towntalk

I know, but didn't want to ID him. Hopefully if he reads this thread he will respond as to what he intends to do with that building.

northside lurker

I hate to say it, but a forum member owns that building.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

It seems that the families are not happy with the empty apartment building at the corner of Woodbine and Bryson. I wonder who owns that building. The families that are buying homes in that area want that apartment building torn down.

The neighborhood still needs a lot of work, starting with the abandoned apartment building next door to Rochow that needs demolished.

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison