News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Home Cookie Bakers

Started by jay, September 07, 2010, 08:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Most of the food items on that list contain high amounts of sugar.  The "potentially hazardous" term probably includes all other foods including vegetables (peppers) which are more likely to have problems with supporting the growth of harmful organisms when canned.

These rules for cottage food production are liberal in our state.  I would be somewhat reluctant to purchase food from any kitchen that was not inspected.   After all, many homes have pets such as cats which could easily jump onto kitchen counter surfaces.  Some home kitchens, as we all know, are not as clean as others.

Youngstownshrimp

Jay, very good research, you dig deep.

A few years back, our store sold Hot Peppers in oil and they sold very well.  We discovered the maker at Four Seasons and he was not in code.  We advised him to get with the Health dept. , he did not.  We contacted the health dept. and they told him to remove his product.  All our customers complained, we told them to go to the Flea market.  From what you found, he was a cottage industry, this is another example of bureaucracy killing small business, sad the peppers were the best!

jay

I found two items which apply to home baked foods.

A "Cottage Food Production Operation" is defined in Chapter 3715 of the Ohio Revised Code to mean a person who, in the person's home, produces food items that are not potentially hazardous foods, including bakery products, jams, jellies, candy, and fruit butter.  Those foods must be labeled properly or they will be considered misbranded or adulterated.

and

A "Cottage Food Production Operation" is exempt from inspection and licensing by the Ohio Department of Agriculture.  However, all food products, including those produced and packaged by a "Cottage Food Production Operation", are subject to food sampling conducted by the Ohio Department of Agriculture to determine if a food product is misbranded or adulterated.

jay

It's my understanding that the home baking rules in Ohio are very liberal.  I'm sure the Farmers' Market manager would be able to advise any prospective bakers of what would be needed to comply with the minimal requirements.

I've heard that some Amish bakers will be at the North Side Farmers' Market on Saturday, September 11.

Youngstownshrimp

Be careful, the health department requires certified kitchens when baking for retail.  There maybe a hybrid health dept. rule but you would have to find this out.

Rick Rowlands

If you like to make cookies, you will dislike them once you attempt to comply with the regulations required to legally sell them to the public. 

jay

If you like to make cookies, contact either the North Side Farmers' Market or the Downtown Farmers' Market.  Both locations would like to have someone supply locally made baked goods for sale to the public and to other vendors.