News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Jobs Opening Downtown

Started by JoyceFarrell, February 19, 2018, 08:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irishbobcat

Hell, the lobby isn't even completed......Walk by this site and see how far behind this project is.....it probably won't open until the fall.......

JoyceFarrell

Here's the reason why:

The restaurant took extra time, NYO Property Group developer Dominic Marchionda said, because "it was about getting the right person."
"We wanted the right type of full-service menu and the right type of chef," he said. "It took a lot more time than we had hoped."
DoubleTree by Hilton was slated to open at the end of March.
"Hilton has a requirement. For the hotel to be open, the restaurant has to be open," Marchionda said.

jay

Headline from the March 1, 2018 newspaper

Downtown hotel delays opening until May

???

northside lurker

I never claimed Steelite is going to keep the hotel full.  But, I don't understand why you think it will always be empty.  In addition to people staying for business purposes, and YSU related purposes, (lectures, events, visitors, etc.) the hotel will receive customers whenever there are events/festivals downtown, events at the Covelli Center, events at Powers Auditorium, events at Stambaugh Auditorium, and so on.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Irishbobcat

How much new business can locate in a city that is 2 square miles? Talk about comparing apples to oranges.....The downtown hotel will be empty Sunday through Thursday nights just like the bars and nightlife downtown. Can't see Steelite bringing that many guests and clients in on a daily basis.....

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

JoyceFarrell

But how many new jobs have been created? How many NEW businesses have located in Struthers?

jay

I've driven through several parts of Struthers.  I've yet to see boarded-up houses or anywhere that could be termed a bad area.

I like the way the old steel property was turned into the area's premier baseball complex.

JoyceFarrell

I'm curious ... just how much economic development is taking place in Struthers?

Irishbobcat

Go online sometimes to job sites like Simply Hired and Indeed and check out the wages for similar jobs at other area hotels......the pay stinks....such will be the case with
this hotel......Maybe guests will get free coupons for gyros from Adi's Circle store.......

Irishbobcat

Oh I will.....Maybe it will last 3 years......the city will loan the hotel water department funds to keep it open.......

JoyceFarrell

Irishbobcat are you prepared to come on here and admit to us that you were absolutely wrong about the hotel if it is still open after three years? I seriously doubt it my friend.

Why?Town

The list of jobs available is:

Accounting/HR
Chief Engineer
Front Desk Agent
Front Office Supervisor
Housekeeping
Housekeeping Houseperson
Housekeeping Supervisor
Laundry Attendant
Maintenance
Night Auditor

Of the ten listed I am pretty sure 5 of them will pay more than $8.25 an hour to start. Those higher paying jobs all go by any or all needed certifications, training and experience related to the job available. Heck, the pay of the first two on the list will raise the average employee pay of the other 8 well over $8.25 an hour. The next two (on my 5 list) would be the supervisors. Would they take the assigned responsibility of the job for the same pay rate as their workers get? Number 5 (on my 5 list) is maintenance. When actually repairing and maintaining the building, machines, and equipment they're also paid decent, but some companies do seem to consider janitors to be maintenance which doesn't usually require any certifications, training or even experience and therefore lower pay. Even if the two are grouped together I believe maintenance will average above the $8.25 an hour.

Well I just looked up Night Auditor and want to add her to my list of more than $8.25 employees since there is a ton of responsibility related to the entire hotel including some accounting duties.

So my list of decent paying jobs is now 6 out of 10.

Irishbobcat

These jobs will pay like $8.25 an hour.....some boost to our economy.....this hotel will be out of business in 2 years.....