News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Looking for FREE firewood.

Started by suprchk, October 15, 2007, 11:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I have a BIG tree at the Tod Engine Heritage Park that needs to be chopped down.  It needs to go now before we put up our new building.  I have been putting off cutting it down because its going to be a big job, but if you would like to come out and assist you can take home as much wood as you want.

Probably have to rent a log splitter as the trunks are about three feet in diameter, but I'll rent it for a weekend once we get that far.  Let me know if interested.

Its the tree in the left background. 

suprchk

We are getting wood at Mill Creek this weekend, but that is a limited supply. I know that a large, full wheelbarrow of wood will last 2 days in our fireplace, so what we get there will last a month or so. The fireplace is (of course) as old as the furnace, but is in good working order. No cracked bricks, vents properly, and not much creosote or soot build-up. The furnace is so old (but still runs so landlord won't replace it) that even with new windows and sufficient insulation the gas bill hit $400 at least twice last winter. I have found (grew up with a woodburning stove for heat) that those who sell firewood bundles want anywhere between $3-5 a bundle. A bundle would last us one evening. By paying that, we might as well crank the furnace. We used to get a pickup load of cord wood for around $50. That would work, too, if I could find it again! Thanks everybody, for your suggestions and please keep an eye out. We really appreciate it!

our2cents

I figured they had some sort of program going.

ForumManager

from this Vindy Article
http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/293289776293393.php

QuoteFirewood Available YOUNGSTOWN — Mill Creek MetroParks' wood storage lot on West Golf Drive, just south of Stitt Pavilion, will be open Oct. 20 and Oct. 21 for people who want to cut and load firewood. There is no fee for the firewood, but individuals must bring a chain saw and cut and load their own wood. The lot will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. No firewood may be removed from Mahoning County because of a quarantine for emerald ash borer. Only 15 vehicles will be permitted in the storage lot at a time. Trucks larger than pickup size and trailers attached to trucks aren't allowed, but cars with trailers under 8 feet are permitted.

our2cents

Quote from: suprchk on October 15, 2007, 11:15:55 AM
The furnace in the house we rent is over 50 years old and in sad shape. We plan on supplementing it's use with the living room fireplace.

Is the fireplace just as old, and has it been cleaned lately are my first thoughts.  We haven't seen any for free.  We did see a yard with a big sign on Norquest saying they're selling wood.

The metroparks system around Cleveland lets people carry the fallen cut chunks for wood.  Have you checked with Mill Creek 330-702-3000 to see if they do a similar thing?  I Don't think they do, they have an awful lot of shredded lumber on Bear's Den at their utility yard.  But it may not hurt to call and ask.

suprchk

Austintown, nearly west side. We are willing to drive to neighboring counties (that are NOT under the emerald ash borer quarantine) to pick up wood.

jay

Do you live in the city or the suburbs of Youngstown?

ForumManager

This topic is being moved to the classifieds section

suprchk

The furnace in the house we rent is over 50 years old and in sad shape. We plan on supplementing it's use with the living room fireplace. We are looking for anyone who has "downed" trees on their property and would like to have it removed. We are looking for at least one pick-up load, but more is fine! Thank you for any information!