News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

WEBSITE COLORS REVISITED

Started by ForumManager, November 14, 2006, 08:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What colors do you prefer for the MV Pages

blues
3 (37.5%)
reds
0 (0%)
greens
3 (37.5%)
orange/earthtones
1 (12.5%)
primary bold colors
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

ForumManager

Quote from: yfdgricker on November 15, 2006, 11:19:44 PM
I like the slick pro graphite layout. Several of them do not show the live audio graphic but that's just something that will have to be coded into the finished product.

Greg

I will code in the audio graphics soon.  Too much to do right now.

I really like the slick pro too.  I am testing it.  Of all of them it imy favorite so far.
It had a rather large graphics package with it so I am wondering about speed with dial up.  But the colors and layout are VERY Clean and professional and it will be easy to make the main site match it somewhat.

our2cents

Thanks for the samples.  I tested a bit under each theme.  They all had interesting aspects.  It was neat to compare the gray & black options...including the Black Rain with its colors that match my desktop (too dark overall).

I was liking Proton, but decided it was way too bright.  Slim Blue has a contrast in color without being as severe as some of the darker gray themes. 

But, I also agree with Greg, the slick pro graphite is a nice layout with a good balance of darkness and clear text areas.  It keeps it looking professional.  The only thing I thought of, it doesn't match the main site...if that's a factor to you.

yfdgricker

I like the slick pro graphite layout. Several of them do not show the live audio graphic but that's just something that will have to be coded into the finished product.

Greg

ForumManager

I have installed several new themes.
Some of them have optional color schemes.

I will give a rundown tomorrow of what is on.  Feel free to play around with them.
If you comment please use the theme name as listed in your profile area.

If and when one is chosen as the forum default all logos will be changed and perhaps graphic headers will be removed or redesigned to to be appropriate for this site.

I have a few favorites already. Please be aware that I will choose and modify a default theme for its overall performances as well as its aesthetic appeal.  I want to give you all the opportunity to give your feedback though before I go ahead. You will always have the optional themes for your own use available unless I discover a security reason they should be removed.

I will personalize the themes for this site over times.

I am testing Christmas as I might like to use it this month.
I am loving Christmas except that my posting block is black.

I have the latest version of the forum software installed and many themes are available for previous version of the forum, but themes for the newest version are limited in number.  New Themes are being added to the fforum download pages all the time.

ForumManager

I'd need to install the themes to give you a screenshot...
so it might just be better if you test drive them.
You would be able to choose the theme in your profile settings.
It is the first item in "look and layout settings"
If you go there now you have a choice of this theme (default) and the classic theme I used before.   It is blue by the way.

I won't change the forum to a new theme without testing it personally in my own profile.

If other themes are used.
Pretty much everything would be available except the following.
no buttons at the top until a theme is chosen
no newsfeed links at the bottom until a theme is chosen
no fire/police text or graphic link

These are the installed mods that might not  be available

Users Online Today Mod  - just what it says
Global Announcements - announcements at the top of the boards
Enchanced post template  - adds some features to   posting
Googlebot & Spiders Mod - counts spiders

our2cents

Quote from: westsider on November 15, 2006, 12:11:50 PM
Would it be easier to set up examples of the other themes you had in mind, and just post screen shots of them for us to decide which we like best.  I don't know exactly what the term "theme" encompasses in this context.  I'm assuming we're still talking about different color variations of what we already have.  If that's not the case, then just ignore me. :)

Theme is everything you see, from the colors, to the control links and options.  The more this subject is going on, the more I'm thinking they should just keep things the way they are.  Kind of the KISS (keep it simple) principle.

northside lurker

Would it be easier to set up examples of the other themes you had in mind, and just post screen shots of them for us to decide which we like best.  I don't know exactly what the term "theme" encompasses in this context.  I'm assuming we're still talking about different color variations of what we already have.  If that's not the case, then just ignore me. :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

our2cents

Quote from: ForumManager on November 15, 2006, 08:43:54 AM
Although I like the zune theme personally...
It is more like a "gaming" theme and isn't exactly appropriate for a community information website.
There are  tested themes with similar color schemes available for this forum. 
I will research and see what I can come up with as possible choices for users.

I agree, it's great for a desktop theme.  I'm glad to see you looking into other theme options for us to help test out.  To be perfectly honest, I'm more happy to see this forum here and working, then to have you spend too much time on fluffing it up to try to make everyone happy.

ForumManager

Ok, so here's what I have decided to do.
This week I am going research themes for the forum.
(in my spare time)  LOL

I will offer several as choices for you to use.
Please be advised that most modifications I've added will not be available.
I will be leaving them as is OUT OF THE BOX .
They will have the developers logos on them, not mahoningvalley.
If you like a style let me know.
I will take everyone's feed back into consideration and will try to go with the flow, within reason.
Then I will modify the favorite as our default and still keep the others.

When using the themes, please feel free to let me know about glitches etc. on this thread.
If a theme's overall functionality  is good, but has a few flaws, I might be able to provide alternate similar  themes for pages that aren't cooperating.

USER BEWARE. Use the themes at your own risk.  They won't have spyware or viruses but could lock you up if they aren't up to snuff. They may also have links to outside sites that I haven't reveiwed.

I will announce theme additions.

ForumManager

Although I like the zune theme personally...
It is more like a "gaming" theme and isn't exactly appropriate for a community information website.
There are  tested themes with similar color schemes available for this forum. 
I will research and see what I can come up with as possible choices for users.

our2cents

Quote from: yfdgricker on November 14, 2006, 07:01:54 PM
Thank you for the link to that. I downloaded.and installed it. I might have to revamp all my computers with that theme :)

Glad you liked it.   ;D

yfdgricker

Quote from: Our 2¢ on November 14, 2006, 05:01:29 PM
Quote from: yfdgricker on November 14, 2006, 03:57:54 PM
I love the orange, light gray, dark gray, white color scheme that are in your screen captures.

I downloaded so many themes from MS's site (didn't trust anyone else saying they had free ones) to find everything to make this work.  If you do a search on MS someday, you'll find a ton of possibilities buried here or there.

The background picture was also snagged from another theme download, but I can't find the link for it.  I did find many other wonderful pics there that would fit in just as well.

The main basis was the Microsoft Zune Theme, available for free download by following this MS link:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75078

Thank you for the link to that. I downloaded.and installed it. I might have to revamp all my computers with that theme :)

Towntalk

Count me among the blues.

When I first set up my web site I had problems with text colors, and the background and finally threw up my hands and went with black since there was so much color at the top.

I've always found this site very comfortable visually and applaud you for your hard work.

our2cents

Quote from: yfdgricker on November 14, 2006, 03:57:54 PM
I love the orange, light gray, dark gray, white color scheme that are in your screen captures.

I downloaded so many themes from MS's site (didn't trust anyone else saying they had free ones) to find everything to make this work.  If you do a search on MS someday, you'll find a ton of possibilities buried here or there.

The background picture was also snagged from another theme download, but I can't find the link for it.  I did find many other wonderful pics there that would fit in just as well.

The main basis was the Microsoft Zune Theme, available for free download by following this MS link:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75078

yfdgricker