News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Notify Not Working?

Started by our2cents, September 10, 2006, 11:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

So far, it seems whatever problem I was having over the weekend may have been resolved.     

In case anyone else is having this problem, these are the settings that I've changed that may have resolved this issue.  Thanks to ForumManager for all the help in suggesting to look into these settings and play with some of them.     

I've also copied a quote below from ForumManager that explains for anyone else what you must do to receive replies to each individual topic you read.  To sum it up, with the right settings and notification working, you'll be notified for each new topic if you subscribe to each board.  You can then read and then subscribe to each topic if you wish to be notified of any replies to that topic.  If you do not subscribe to the topic, then you will not receive future notifications.  This is the exact setup that I wanted...notification on all new topics with the option to subscribe or not subscribe for future replies, etc.

Here are Profile Settings to review:

Notifications and Email:
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=182;sa=notification
Unchecked:
--Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
Checked:
--Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.

Layout Settings:
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=182;sa=theme
Checked:
(These settings simply switch the display order in the topics.  It is a rather nice setting to use when visiting the topics/boards as then you don't need to scroll down to read the most recent.)
--Show most recent posts at the top.
--Show most recent personal messages at top.

Quote from: ForumManager on September 11, 2006, 07:16:53 AM
Here's a note from the SMF support boards regarding the notification issue.
QuoteWith topic notification, you get notified when a reply is posted to that specific topic.

With board notification, you ONLY get notified when a new topic is added to that specific board, and NOT when a reply is posted to the new topic. Thus, every time a new topic is added the boardmembers must enable topic notification for the new topic.

our2cents

Thanks for being on top of this, including your PM's.  I did change my profile to make it easier to see only new posts:
-Show most recent posts at the top.
-Show most recent personal messages at top.

I agree with that information totally you quoted.  The problem seems to be something with the software running the board then.  I'm getting the topic notification messages for each topic I've subscribed to. 

I'm not receiving notifications when a new topic is added to a board I've subscribed to.  I understand the limitations of not being notified again if I don't subscribe to the topic.  I agree with that process totally.  I'm not getting the first notification of a new topic to the boards.

ForumManager

Here's a note from the SMF support boards regarding the notification issue.
QuoteWith topic notification, you get notified when a reply is posted to that specific topic.

With board notification, you ONLY get notified when a new topic is added to that specific board, and NOT when a reply is posted to the new topic. Thus, every time a new topic is added the boardmembers must enable topic notification for the new topic.

SMF does not support reply notification for a board.
A shortcomming! 

ForumManager

In your profile - 
Look and layout preferences
you can check
-Show most recent posts at the top.
-Show most recent personal messages at top.
and it will show  them by your greeting in the top content block.

It doesnt solve your notification issue but it is an easy way to see what has been posted since your last visit.

ForumManager

looking into it - sent you  a  Personal Message regarding your settings.

our2cents

I've signed up to be notified of new posts for certain boards & messages.  I'm only receiving emails about 1 time a day, even though there were many more new posts to the different groups. 

Is the board limiting notification if I don't visit the boards, even though the messages were posted in different groups and on different messages?