News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Supermarket

Started by Towntalk, August 31, 2011, 12:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I agree with you that Save-A-Lot is no Giant Eagle, but what they sell is Made In America, at a good price and as for being kept clean, it it's anything like the Save-A-Lot in the Liberty Plaza you have no worries.

Personally I shop at both Giant Eagle and Save-A-Lot and drop $250.00 a month average between the two stores and eat quite well thank you ever so much.

Save-A-Lot never was a high end market which is why their prices are lower than Giant Eagle.

mrniles266

:( I see the Union Save-A-Lot, at the Gypsy Union Square, every Saturday and Sunday when visiting next door at Herritage Manor. I went twice to look around. They had a lot of stuff. I didn't buy a thing. If they keep the place clean as it is now. It should be OK. They cut a lot departments that cost a lot to operate. Limited choices. The basics are there. Want something special. You'll have to go  to Walmart or Giant Eagle. I think people from the are happy to have some place to shop, instead of a drugstore or convienience store.

Towntalk

Shopped at the new Save-A-Lot today for the first time  and gee it's really nice ... $85.00 nice. Brand name Coffee is $4.00 less than at Giant Eagle, their hot sausage is great and they have 5 packages of meats for $20.00. I love beef steaks and got enough for 7 meals.

iwasthere

Quote from: sfc_oliver on September 09, 2011, 03:42:43 PM
Really? You believe that don't you? I didn't have a decent living wage until the Reagan years, that would be when I pinned on my Sergeant Stripes, my wife got a job, and Reagan gave us an 18% across the board raise. I don't remember any Unions being involved in it. I'll bet you believed that Vindy article a few months back that said military retirees made $50,000 a year too. There may be a few, but they had stars on their shoulders not stripes.

But it is hilarious to me that these minimum wage workers are hired to picket for a Union that doesn't want them as members.....

I wish the store success, the one that started in Poland didn't make it.
you did well for yourself during your employment years with the military. sarge why did you make a life in the military when the pay was at proverty levels? you are enjoying a nice retirement from the military that was paid by the united states taxpayers. i do not begrudge you on you retirement salary. i find it hard to believe that you want other united states citizens not to have similiar benefits that you and i enjoy due your government employment and my private employment at schwebel' s baking co.  my niegbor and his son did pretty well as an military personel(airforce) before retiring in 1976 before reagan came into office. i agree with you with those picketers at these stores, they are paid minimum wage without benefits. the ones at iga in struthers  i have not seen for several months. did they recieve their thirteen weeks vacation time benefit.

Towntalk

There is a Save-A-Lot in the Liberty Plaza and they've been there for years with no problems with union pickets.

Like I said, I fully intend to do a lot of my shopping at the Union Square Save-A-Lot.

sfc_oliver

Quote from: iwasthere on September 09, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
sarge you benefitted from a GOOD living wage while in the miliatary and civil life, so do not begrudge other workers from a GOOD living wage too.

Really? You believe that don't you? I didn't have a decent living wage until the Reagan years, that would be when I pinned on my Sergeant Stripes, my wife got a job, and Reagan gave us an 18% across the board raise. I don't remember any Unions being involved in it. I'll bet you believed that Vindy article a few months back that said military retirees made $50,000 a year too. There may be a few, but they had stars on their shoulders not stripes.

But it is hilarious to me that these minimum wage workers are hired to picket for a Union that doesn't want them as members.....

I wish the store success, the one that started in Poland didn't make it.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Wait till Monday when I go in for surgery. For the next few days the menu will be canned pasta depending on how the surgery goes.

iwasthere

Quote from: sfc_oliver on September 09, 2011, 03:17:52 PM
I wonder how long it will take the Unions to get their minimum wage non-union picketers out there?
sarge you benefitted from a GOOD living wage while in the miliatary and civil life, so do not begrudge other workers from a GOOD living wage too.

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on September 09, 2011, 02:48:59 PM
Menu for tonight:

Home made Chili Dogs; tossed salad; coffee

Menu for tomorrow:

Hamburgers; salad; coffee and peaches

Menu for Sunday:

Grilled steak, potatoes, green beans, peaches and tea and a salad.
are you taking reservations. ;D

sfc_oliver

I wonder how long it will take the Unions to get their minimum wage non-union picketers out there?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Menu for tonight:

Home made Chili Dogs; tossed salad; coffee

Menu for tomorrow:

Hamburgers; salad; coffee and peaches

Menu for Sunday:

Grilled steak, potatoes, green beans, peaches and tea and a salad.

iwasthere

as they say a penny short and a day late :o ;D

Towntalk

I just had home made Oyster Stew last night. ;D

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on August 31, 2011, 05:04:08 PM
I'm happy, nay overjoyed that Save-A-Lot is finally open and plan to do a lot of shopping there, but will still shop at Giant Eagle ... 50% at Giant Eagle and 50% at Save-A-Lot. I should be able to keep my larder filled that way with a lot of great things to eat as I eat like a rich person on a poor persons budget, and Save-A-Lot doesn't carry many of my favorite foods like oysters, fried peppers from Italy, and other ethnic foods, and no one can beat Giant Eagle's Deli's prepared foods, or their bakery's speciality breads.

When I can get it, I also like to make a meal out of fresh raw oysters in a bed of crushed ice to dunk in a good oyster sauce.
when is dinner? ;D

Towntalk

I'm happy, nay overjoyed that Save-A-Lot is finally open and plan to do a lot of shopping there, but will still shop at Giant Eagle ... 50% at Giant Eagle and 50% at Save-A-Lot. I should be able to keep my larder filled that way with a lot of great things to eat as I eat like a rich person on a poor persons budget, and Save-A-Lot doesn't carry many of my favorite foods like oysters, fried peppers from Italy, and other ethnic foods, and no one can beat Giant Eagle's Deli's prepared foods, or their bakery's speciality breads.

When I can get it, I also like to make a meal out of fresh raw oysters in a bed of crushed ice to dunk in a good oyster sauce.