News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Closing Of Rosetta Stone

Started by jay, August 27, 2010, 06:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The artists spent many hours over several weeks to paint the murals in the Vault.  I hope their work will eventually be seen by the citizens of Youngstown.

DefendYoungstown

Based on information gathered by those close to Rosetta Stone (plus, my own experience in dealing with the ownership when I worked for the City), I agree that this situation was more of a management rather than economic issue. The location is prime and there will likely be offers made for the space - the problem will be what price the Sop ownership will be will willing to sell for...

Regardless, while a short-term inconvenience , it likely will result in an overall better outcome for the downtown in the long run. Here are a few quotes from a Facebook thread from patrons of the restaurant:

~" Service' was a word that was never etched in the 'stone'. Looking forward to real restaurateurs coming downtown."

~"It was poorly run from the start with lack of attention to any of the important details that matter in such an establishment."

~"It's more of a shame that there is an empty building downtown. People will get the wrong impression...I supported it because of location. I look forward to support the next business. For now, Cimmento and Lemon Grove will have to be prepared for more business."

~"I gave that place more chances than an abused wife gives an alcoholic husband she just can't admit has a problem. And only because I want to see businesses succeed downtown. The service was always terrible, and I was there... this past Saturday, just for a drink, and watched a group of four later middle aged folks who had an actual reservation leave when they received no response from the workers. It was always like this. Hopefully a real restaurant inhabits the place, but I'm afraid the owners will ask too much for the place. It'll probably sit there like buildings did in the 80s, and begin to rot, because of it."

~"It's interesting though...a certain kind of crowd seemed to patronize R.S. on the weekends. I wonder where those people will now hang out."

~"...it would be really nice if a national tenant came in, like a Mortons. Its a tough sell at this time to a Mortons, but if you want consistent service and financial wherewithal to stick it out this is ...a smart option. Its also not a matter of selling out to big chains. I walked around Wacker and Michigan in Chicago last night at 10 pm and the sidewalk seating was filled with people at these establishments. And a good downtown needs a chophouse. It adds to the the cache and brings in other tenants to downtown that will spend some of their disposable income."

Addionally, some folks in the artist community are upset that the art work / volunteer time put into preparation for the night club in the basement will now be all for naught. Danny Cutullo - owner of Cutullo's Fine Meat's - offered the following:

"So after thinking long and hard about how to turn this negative (business closing) to a positive. I have decided to do some creative donating.

For every box of patties that Catullo Prime Meats sells this weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday...), I will donate $1 to an art fund downtown. Please check out my business's facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Poland-OH/Catullo-Prime-Meats/103282959714161?v=wall for more details.

We now have a better looking building downtown with a finished basement. I just want to acknowledge the people that put in work with the thought that it would be looked at by patrons not prospective buyers.

Please pass the word. Danny"

Shar

Quote from: ytowner on August 27, 2010, 07:57:57 AM
I thought this place was booming lol, boy was I wrong. Hopefully someone, such as Vernon's, comes down there and fills the void the Rosetta Stone is leaving.

It was booming....but as the bills weren't gettin paid (owner taking the money home), the quality suffered.  My guess would be that another resturant will do just fine there. 

jay

In my opinion, most of the restaurants in downtown Youngstown are struggling.  The expanded call center at 20 Federal Place has done very little to help restaurant business.  The workers have short breaks and really don't spend much money for food items. They often buy snacks and a beverage.

Also, most restaurants can't survive on an afternoon lunch  that only lasts from Noon until 1:00 p.m.  On most days there is no supper crowd.  Office workers head home to the suburbs when their work day ends.

ytowner

I thought this place was booming lol, boy was I wrong. Hopefully someone, such as Vernon's, comes down there and fills the void the Rosetta Stone is leaving.

Shar

I agree that this says nothing about the economy of downtown Youngstown.  Their resturant business had deteriorated because of poor food quality.  They lost the chef and half the wait staff a couple of months ago.  Two Buck Chuck, the owner, owed so much money to the food suppliers that they could not get any good quality food.  He was asking the staff to keep food product in the kitchen long past the date that it should have gone in the trash.  I had several experiences there when the food was horrible.  The last time we ate dinner there we took friends from out of town.  I was mortified at the food that was served to us.  I think the bar business stayed pretty busy but apparently they could not survive on that alone. 

Rick Rowlands

It says nothing.  Non franchised restaurants have high mortality rates, and the only reason that this closing is attracting attention is because it is downtown. 

jay

As posted elsewhere, the Rosetta Stone Restaurant closed at the end of the day on Thursday, August 26.

What does its closing indicate about the economy of downtown Youngstown?