News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Disturbing

Started by jay, August 26, 2010, 08:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

This is nothing new.

When I attended The Rayen School in the early eighties, my "American History"
teacher's idea of "class" was to hand out cross word puzzles as soon as the bell
rang and everyone took their seats.

He then proceeded to sit in his chair, at his desk, open the morning paper and
drink coffee the rest of the class period.

Oh, and the cross word puzzles weren't even related to anything that one
could consider "American History".

I seriously doubt that crossword puzzles were on anyone's curriculum, other
than that of the teacher.

:(

mooch

Are you saying teachers purposely gave students easy work?

What I can see happening is teaching to the lowest common denominator: Many city school students do not care about homework or putting in time for school work.  They fall behind and this slows down the better students in the class.  To the better students, the pace seems too slow and the work is easy.

Rick Rowlands

Yes quite disturbig.  No wonder the teachers union did not want to tie their inflated pay to student performance.

jay

I'm listening to a radio program this morning.  Students who previously attended Youngstown City Schools and who moved to suburban school districts are being interviewed.  The student claim that the school work in the city was too easy.  In essence, they were given "inflated" grades while attending our city schools.