News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown's Neighborhoods

Started by jay, August 15, 2010, 09:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

I see Mr. Kidd has regressed down into the mud with his recent tantrum.  I'll take the high road here and respond with questions.

1.  Show us all where a court of law determined I exceeded the area operation and kindly refer to a case number?
2.  Show us all where my operations were found guilty of illegal timbering and please site a case number?
3.  Show us all where my organization took advantage of our community?
4.  Is it Mr. Russo's words or yours that he despises me?
5.  Is your agenda still to run for Mayor of Youngstown as you told me?
6.  Are you aware that many GOOD faith base entities and institutions such as Mt. Calvary, Nevels Temple, City of Youngstown, Councilmembers and upstanding citizens are delinquent in their property taxes, some in the millions?
7.  What percentage of the community you are organizing subsist on entitlements?
8.  Have you ever purchased real estate (house or land) in Youngstown?
9.  Have you ever worked for the private sector in your life?
10.  Does the MVOC keep files on all businessmen in Youngstown?

Mr. Kidd govern yourself accordingly.

jay

The authors may be on WASN, 1500-AM, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 24.

ForumManager

I happened upon this thread.  There are no open moderator reports.  If you find a particular  post offensive, please report it.  You can also rate a post right on the board.

Shar

Rushblvd

DefendYoungstown

(This is a double-response to this thread as well as YtownShrimp's "Illegal Dumping" response):

Do you realize that Russo, et al embraces strong community organization (ex. MVOC/YNDC, Action, Common Wealth Inc, Grow Youngstown, etc) as an important piece of urban revitalization in Youngstown (stated in the recent article) and despises you because of your history in this community? Do you know what type of reputation you possess among neighborhood and faith-based groups involved in this community?

Do you understand that the purpose of a land bank is to be able to clear title to property more efficiently (in 45 days) so to get it back out on the market while attempting to provide some semblance of protection of wide-scale speculation (BTW: no-tax dollars involved)? Do you understand that this is considered a best practice nationally (particularly for older industrial communities) as was approved by a unanimous, bipartisan vote in the State Senate and 80% majority in the House of Representatives?

Do you also understand that urban agriculture IS being pushed aggressively in Youngstown as part of urban/neighborhood development? See: Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation / Idora "Lots of Green" / Mineral Springs Road; Common Wealth Inc. / Wick Park / "Farms on Baldwin / Stuart Place Kitchen Incubator / Youngstown Farmers Market; Grow Youngstown / Community Supported Agriculture program). BTW: urban aquaculture is a fine idea...the only problem from what I gather from most in the community who might be considered partners in such an initiative is that YOU are involved with it. Many people in this community do not trust you. That being said, did not the city provide you zoning to conduct initial pond operation...yet a court of law determined that you exceeded the area of operation approved for the initial operation?

What I don't understand is how someone like yourself who has continued to take advantage of this community for so long and in so many ways and with so many different people still has the nerve to berate and hijack other members of the community attempting to do HONEST work, albeit not in line with your way of thought (whatever that may actually be). Spare us the incessant "The World vs. Ron Eiselstein" drama. You give sensible conservatives (like Rick, et al) a bad name because of the the type of person you have proven to be through your actions (of which you have admitted to me in person that you regret). We have a file on you at MVOC an inch thick consisting of unpaid taxes on land totalling in the thousands / tens of open civil court cases and open judgements in the thousands / illegal timbering/ etc. I am ashamed that this forum allows you to continue to use it to pontificate.

I'd be willing to challenge you Ron Eiselstein (aka. "YoungstownShirmp") to an open public debate regarding any and all of the above at any time and any place. I'm sure your have a really clever comeback but I'm done with the online bs and acknowledgement of yourself (as most already are). I will also be done with this forum should it continue to allow a proven exploiter of the community such yourself to continue to use it to spew your hypocritical propaganda. This forum and this community deserves better. 

Youngstownshrimp

I have Russo's book and I think he is right on in his study of our neighborhoods.  It is sad to see the continuing position of the present leadership to oppose educated thought rather than embracing it.  Again I would like to make it vary clear that urban farming the vast vacant abandoned lands in Youngstown will not only revitalize the neighborhoods but bring jobs to the City, farming, the largest industry in Ohio.  We can create more landbanks but finding the end user is what is key.  Like YSU's Russo , OSU is bringing aquaculture to Ohio as the "key" end user. embrace it.

jay

The authors of this paper may be the guests on a radio talk show next week.

I will attempt to post the exact time and station asap.

DefendYoungstown

northside lurker

I'm STILL trying to buy a house on the north side.  I could tackle a couple of the major projects that the house needs if I could use the 20% I have to put down - to appease the bank - to actually make improvements to the house.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

I think it could work to some extent.... anyone who has enough credit,
and income, to qualify for a conventional home mortgage could and
should be offered a chance at home ownership - without the mortgage
payment - in return for their residency and their renovation of the
home.

AllanY2525

I agree with the residency part.  Youngstown has to launch an all-out effort to get more
home OWNERS to buy, and live in, a house within the city limits -  preferably in the
neighborhoods that the 2010 plan seeks to restore and rehabilitate.  These neighborhoods
are still viable and worth saving.

Now, here's an idea I have thought about many times... is it a pipe dream?

Maybe, maybe not...

I think the city and the county should get together, and offer land contract home ownership
for homes that are still in usable condition - in strategically targeted neighborhoods that are
to be saved - at some rediculously tiny price, like $1 - BUT with a whole boat load of strings
attached.

The city of Baltimore, MD tried this - with some successes - and all of it in some pretty rough
and run down neighborhoods.  They got young, working professionals to buy abandoned
and/or blighted housing units and fix them up, move into them and become residents of
the neighborhood.

The land contract would obligate the buyer to fix the home up and bring it up to code,
within a time table worked out between the city/county and the new home owner prior to
the sale of the property.  The owner would be required to live in the property and NOT
rent it out for a period of at least 10 to 15 years (maybe 20?).

The buyer would have to provide proof of financial responsibility and resources. The down
payment they would have to pay in order to get a mortgage could be applied to fixing up
the property instead.  The mortgage payments they would have made in 20 years can
be invested in improving their home.

A lot of the work could be tax deductible for the new home owner. Especially stuff like energy
efficiency improvements - insulation, HVAC upgrades, windows and doors, roofing, etc.
And, of course, the new home owner has NO MORTGAGE, and owns the property free and
clear.  They generate PROPERTY TAXES - and put more operating funds in the county's coffers.

Failure to live up to the conditions of the land contract breaches the agreement, and
the property is forfeited to the city/county for sale to another owner - along with whatever
improvements have been made to that property while it was in the custody of the former
owner.  This weeds out those who are either not serious about home ownership from those
who can, and will, make good neighbors.

NOW you have people who are owner occupants - people who have a VERY vested interest
in keeping up the place they call their home, and their neighborhood.

As for the decimated neighborhoods - they need to vanish from the city map.  Let the
empty land go back to nature, as this means virtually ZERO maintenance once the
trees are in, the sidewalks and pavement are gone,  and a young forest begins in each of
these areas.

The city also needs to continue to remove un-needed housing stock.  The sooner the
built infrastructure of this city is downsized to match the number of residents within
the city limits, the sooner the drain on the city and county budgets will be reduced
in each department that provides vital services to the city. 

Less neighborhoods to have to provide services for: gas, water, electric, sewer,
street paving and maintenance.   Police and fire services will have less TERRITORY to
cover - allowing the city and county to do more with the limited resources they do have.

Migration:

As the city clears out old neighborhoods, it needs to do everything in its power to migrate
the city's population toward, and into, the neighborhoods the city is planning to save and
rebuild.  ESPECIALLY home owners.  The exchange idea needs to be looked at again,
and some fresh ideas applied to get home owners in areas where there are few houses
left on their street, and convince them to trade for another house of greater value, in at
least as the same overall condition,  shape, etc.

jay

QuoteThe 'Renaissance' of Youngstown will not be complete until the new professionals coming here don't just want to work downtown but also choose to live in the city.  So far, few "new Youngstowners," have settled in the city. 

Youngstownshrimp

Correction, "not the majority."

Youngstownshrimp

You are getting warmer.  Majority of the citizens of the City are renters and are subsidized, so who do we think the Municipality will penalize for the housing stock implosion?  Right, the majority which keeps the ruling class in their subsidized jobs by getting continuing assistance in exchange for their vote.  The only way out for us all in this City is for financial collapse of the local governments and hopefully we can rebuild by exchanging the "dole" for production and hard work.