News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

V&M Expansion!

Started by Penguins37, February 15, 2010, 03:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

Thats just pure political hype.  Believe nothing that the political class says, but watch closely what they do.

Towntalk

I really like the following quotation, but must admit trepidations about it:

In exclusive interviews just hours after the announcement, Strickland, Girard Mayor Jim Melfi, Youngstown Mayor Jay Williams and Congressman Tim Ryan, D-Niles, said the project will be a boost in making the Valley competitive on a global scale.

----------

The new Vallourec factory "will be nothing like the facilities that were here in the past," he said. "When you visualize a steel mill, you don't picture this facility. The technology is very sophisticated. It looks nothing like the steel industry that was here 50 or 60 years ago."
Walt Good, vice president of economic development at the Younstown/Warren Regional Chamber of Commerce.

"We're talking about thousands of jobs that are going to be created here," said U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan, a Democrat whose district includes the region. "It's going to be transformational for the Mahoning Valley."

"It's truly fantastic that as the U.S. emerges from a very difficult recession, the Mahoning Valley is selected as the site for one of the largest manufacturing expansion projects in the country," said Tom Humphries, President and CEO of the Regional Chamber.

Rick Rowlands

So apparently they will use the existing EAF and concaster to supply rounds for both the existing seamless tube mill and the "to be built" seamless tube mill.  Should demand increase then the second EAF and caster would be installed to increase production to the mills' capacities.

john r. swierz

correction $950 Million

john r. swierz

Today's announcement was for a $650 million dollar project. The melting plant which was a part of this project is on hold at this time. That project would be $300 million dollars =$930 million dollars

Youngstownshrimp

Plus one for the "Private Sector!"  Good job Kyle!

I guess I can deduce that since V&M makes pipe for gas wells, and the County recording office has a surge in gas well leases, maybe we are beginning to listen and value our natural resources.  I guess I'll keep promoting land as an investment in our county.

Towntalk

It's really wonderful news, but I'm sure that there will be those who will try to pour cold water on it because it doesn't fit in with their scheme of things. (It's not G**** Jobs.)

Penguins37

Hey I just wanted to post the good news on the forum that V&M made the official announcement of their expansion.  This is great news for the Valley, a $970 million investment is not an opportunity that presents itself often. 

Congrats to everyone involved and to the Valley!