News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wick Pollock

Started by Towntalk, February 03, 2010, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Allan, I don't know if they've fallen back into disrepair, but the gardens have been restored.

http://mahoninghistory.blogspot.com/2008/05/2008-historic-preservation-awards.html
(Scroll down to the bottom)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

That news (re: demolishing the Inn addition to the mansion) is both good news
and bad news.

It strikes me as wasteful to demolish the Inn portion of the structure, when there
really isn't much wrong with it in the first place.  This is wasteful, as the Inn could
have been used as additional space for the [ever-expanding] University, versus
building a new structure in the future.

The good news is, that the original mansion will undoubtedly undergo some degree
of restoration, once it has been severed from the current addition.  Hopefully
they will try to make it look as it once did.  I would love to see the Wick Pollock
"Sunken Garden" undergo some restoration - it is still quite beautiful, and most
people don't even know it's there.

Here's an interesting bit of historical trivia regarding the Wick Pollock house:

The house had already been added to once, prior to the construction of the
inn addition.  The photos below show:

a) The original house, given to Porter Pollock by the Wick Family as a wedding
gift when he married Mary [Wick] Pollock.

b) The Wick-Pollock house in 1951, prior to the addition of the Inn portion.

c and d) A couple photos of the "sunken garden" that I took in 2006  If you look
through the stone arch with the initials "M.W.P.", there is nothing but an overgrown
hillside now - I would love to know what used to lie through that arch, on the
other side... maybe more gardens?

:)

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on February 05, 2010, 08:30:56 AM
Looks like the word "deconstruction" is withering away.  You go Novotney, keep saying it, "demolition with salvage rights" and save taxpayer money.  Oh, I have been asked to donate several lots to Habitat for Humanity and I hear you are on some commitee, I think one of my request would be that they get rid of you before I donate.

Except that they could deconstruct the 1980's addition, instead of demolishing it, what does that have to do with the Wick Pollock Inn/home?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Looks like the word "deconstruction" is withering away.  You go Novotney, keep saying it, "demolition with salvage rights" and save taxpayer money.  Oh, I have been asked to donate several lots to Habitat for Humanity and I hear you are on some commitee, I think one of my request would be that they get rid of you before I donate.

Towntalk

;D Not I says me says I.  ;D

Rick Rowlands

Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that the residence will be on the second floor with a reception area on the first.  So its really not that big.

northside lurker

Wow, that's kind of unexpected.  Last I heard it was going to be used as sort of a lab for the hospitality students.

The university definitely plans to do something with the place.  They have already hired an architect. (unfortunately, it wasn't the company I work for :( )

http://cfweb.cc.ysu.edu/marketcomm/view.cfm?articleID=2256
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

Whoaa!

The new YSU president had better start shopping for furniture... that's a BIG
house to fill....

;)

With the new president moving into the Wick-Pollock Inn, may be that is the
signal that the university is finally getting ready to remodel it and open it
up again.

It would be great to have a hotel operating within the city limits again for the
first time in years... not to mention having one right next to the downtown
area.

Towntalk

On the 6:00 News on 27 tonight it was announced that the Wick Pollock will be the home of the new YSU President.

Wick-Pollock To Be New YSU President's Home

http://www.wkbn.com/content/news/local/story/Wick-Pollock-To-Be-New-YSU-Presidents-Home/Zj5KDExLhUe2TpBf6MqFRw.cspx