News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

College Students Protest Coal Use on Campuses.

Started by irishbobcat, September 27, 2009, 05:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I already made my recommendation.  If they want alternative fuels then that cost should be added to the tuition as a surcharge. 

BTW I was just out in the garage this morning getting the coal stove ready for another winter of wonderful, aromatic heat thanks to my good friend Mr. Coal!  :)

sfc_oliver

Burn that Coal and drill that Oil while our scientists continue to work on the next, best energy solutions. But college students and politicians are not the best judges of what will be best.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

iwasthere

RR what is your recommendations to the pro clean energy crowd that wants to use alternative energy modes?

Rick Rowlands

"Sure we'll stop burning coal.  Here is your 15% tuition increase!"

irishbobcat

College Students Protest Coal Use on Campuses.

By Alan Scher Zagier, AP, September 16, 2009. "College students from Missouri to Oregon are urging their schools to stop using coal-based electricity in favor of cleaner energy sources ranging from wood chips to geothermal power. On September 16 students at the University of Missouri and other schools nationwide mounted a Sierra Club-led campaign [Campuses Beyond Coal] targeting coal-based power at colleges, whether generated at on-campus plants or purchased from private utilities. The campaign began the same day a group of college presidents rallied in Washington in support of clean energy legislation. Student organizers said colleges have a societal obligation to reduce and eventually eliminate coal use in favor of renewable energy. At Missouri, the school used more than 48,000 tons of coal to generate electricity in 2007, accounting for 80 percent of campus energy use. A Sierra Club report singled out UCLA, Oregon State, Indiana, Minnesota, North Carolina and five other schools along with Missouri. The environmental group identified 60 campuses with their own coal-burning power plants, including Georgia, Penn State and Virginia."
Ohio universities and colleges should also be joining in this protest!

Dennis Spisak
Mahoning Valley Green Party
Ohio Green Party
www.ohiogreens.org
www.votespisak.org/thinkgreen/