News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Observations While Walking (No.10)

Started by jay, August 20, 2020, 05:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Saturday, April 17

I found an generic tongue & groove pliers today.

jay

Why?Town

SK tools, decades of Made in the USA high quality tools.

Some will mention/complain that they were made by a few different manufacturers over the years but I'm pretty sure they are still made here and I know that they are still some of the best.

I've done some research on SK Tools while looking to rebuild the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive socket sets that my dad bought long before I was born. All but the 3/8" drive originally came with sockets that were knurled along the lower edge. Some of his lifetime warranty replacements don't have that and some have various different SK logos but I'm slowly (not surely) working on getting replacements that are/were original from swap meets, garage sales and pawn shops.

Back to this 5.5 mm socket. 5.5mm is about half way between 3/16" and 1/4" and I bet it was a 1/4" drive socket. Based on it being so small I'd be surprised if it was used on the same bolt as the Craftsman wrench and the vise-grip style locking pliers that followed it.

Now I'm curious as to what size that Craftsman wrench was...Hmmm
[/quote]

jay

jay

The name stamped into the body is Companion.   China is stamped on another component.

Why?Town

We don't need to know the brand name for me to say that this vise-grip style locking plier replaced that wrench in more ways than one. I will admit that sometimes test drives take a little longer and travel different roads so it may not be an exact replacement but I will claim that it was used on the same bolt in the same car.

I am curious though, as to the brand name and condition of this particular vise-grip style locking plier.

jay

Thursday, November 5

I found a vise-grip style locking pliers on the road today.

Why?Town

They open the hood, use a wrench to loosen and/or re-tighten something. Set the wrench on the fender while double checking, after starting the engine, to make sure that the bolt is tight enough. When they decide it is acceptable, they close the hood and go for a test drive.

But the story continues:
At some point they realize it's either too tight or not tight enough so they go home, go in the garage to get that wrench because they are ready to fix it right this time under the hood they just propped up. After looking here and looking there with no luck finding that wrench there is a huge chance that many four letter words will be heard throughout the neighborhood and even a loud bang as the hood gets slammed shut.

And then it gets worse:
Sometimes you even hear a dog yelp because it was laying in the doorway, somewhat blocking access to the beer in the refrigerator and size 13 boots stepping on you really hurt.

jay

Wednesday, August 19

I found a Craftsman wrench on the road today.  How does someone lose a wrench on a road?