News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Price Of Our Local Newspaper

Started by jay, January 30, 2009, 10:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Thats an alternative for now, but what do you do when your favorite paper starts charging a subscription fee to read content online?

As you know, the newspaper industry is facing major problems many have already stopped publishing, others have cut back to three days a week, and still others are online only and considering charging a fee to read their content

(See Media page Reporters Notebook http://rreporters.notebook.tripod.com)

The Plain Dealer is in deep financial trouble and the Cincinnati Post is closed both in major Ohio cities.

Under the subscription formula on a newspapers web site a fee per article would be charged.

ytowner

Quote from: Why?Town on March 23, 2009, 05:43:33 PM
The price of home delivery has now followed suit, according to the bill I received a couple of days ago.

Since I've been laid off for two months with not much hope of being recalled, I guess it's time to start saving $158.00 a year by reading my mother-in-law's paper a day late.
Just read it online.

Towntalk

I'm with you ... I haven't subscribed to The Vindicator for the past 17 years.

Why?Town

The price of home delivery has now followed suit, according to the bill I received a couple of days ago.

Since I've been laid off for two months with not much hope of being recalled, I guess it's time to start saving $158.00 a year by reading my mother-in-law's paper a day late.

Towntalk

For the record:

The new price applies ONLY to news stands and vending machines and starts tomorrow (Monday). Home delivery will remain the same.

Towntalk

Jay:

There are a number of reasons why the Vindicator would raise its cost:

1. The severe decline in advertising revenue.
2. The cost of newsprint.
3. The staffing costs.
4. The wire services (Associated Press) have greatly increased their charges.

Newspapers across the country charge 50 cents a paper and many others charge as high as $1.50 for a daily.

By the same token, newspapers larger than the Vindicator are going out of business while others such as the New York Times are in deep financial trouble.

There is also a steep decline in readership, people are getting their news on line, and with the decline of sales the ad rates decline in relation to the number of subscribers and over the counter sales.

Editor & Publisher, the bible of the newspaper industry sees the day coming when most major newspapers will stop their print edition and publish on line.

They also suggest that the day is coming when print editions will also cut back on the number of days they publish to help slow down the financial bleeding.

jay

The operator of a convenience store claims that the price for the daily local newspaper will increase from 35 cents to 50 cents.