News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Veterans/War Memorial

Started by Elmo-Ytown, July 26, 2008, 04:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elmo-Ytown

Funny how things come back around . . . .

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/veterans-shocked-to-find-out-they-could-face-charges-for-moving-war-memorial-in-youngstown/

Dana Lantz should make a public apology to this group. The owners of the memorial gave consent for it to be moved. According to the Mahoning County Auditor's website the land that it sat on is still owned by the city. Just by looking over this old posting it can be seen that the city was not maintaining this monument. This monument was erected by the people in order to show respect for our veterans and the city has done such a poor job that the people have decided to take it over themselves. The government in Youngstown clearly knows little about service to others. Comments about criminal prosecution are outrageous and should be retracted!

Elmo-Ytown

What shape is this memorial in today?

AllanY2525

It's good to see that there are still people out there who care.....

:)

Elmo-Ytown

It looks like someone has done some work at the memorial.

sfc_oliver

Count me in though I can't do too much, be happy to do what I can.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Rick, it looks like you and I are the only ones who want to actually go over there and spruce the monument up, but I'll bet ya that someone would come over and post pictures of it cleaned up and pat themself on the shoulder saying "what a wonderful person I am" if you know what I mean.

Rick Rowlands

Set a date and I'll come lend a hand.  Email me too since I don't visit this forum every day.

sfc_oliver

This memorial sets next to what used to be an entrance to Southside Park. I understand some type of children's home is to be built where the swimming pool used to be. i wonder if all the old parks land has been sold or leased.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Isn't it sad ... we receive reports from overseas how grateful people in Europe take it upon themselves to maintain memorials to American military personal who liberated their country without great debates about whose responsability it is, yet here we spend needless hours debating who is responsable for a very small memorial when it could in fact take a mere hour or so for us as a group to go over there and spruce it up.

We worry over trivialities and turn them into great issues, yet when it comes to sacrificing a measly hour of our time on a project like this, we look to someone else to do the work. That is a sad reflection on us.

I don't drive but if someone who does could swing by and pick me up, I'd be honored to help beautify that monument in memory of my Father and all the other fathers who answered our country's call.

jay

I believe that memorial is located in the sixth ward.  Janet Tarpley, the city councilmember, should be able to tell you if the memorial is the responsibility of the City Parks Department.

Towntalk

Here's another idea.

If we can't determine just who is responsable for that monument, we in mahoningvalley.info could adopt the monument.

If I'm not mistaken, the monument on the East Side was allowed to become run down until a group of citizens took it on as a project, and today every Memorial Day there is a city wide Memorial Day event there.

I'm sure that were we to clean up the Memorial that those Vets living on the South Side would soon follow the example of the folks that care for the East Side memorial.

Three cheers to you Elmo-Ytown for calling our attention to this monument, and a tip of the helmet from all the Vets and their families.

Elmo-Ytown

Agreed, next time I pass I'll stop and do a little work.

It would still be nice to find out who takes care of it though, so that maybe we can get a light for the flag. I'll try and get ahold of the councilperson and see if they know who it is.

Towntalk

Why couldn't we just get together two or three of our own folks to go out there and clean it up ourselves. I seriously doubt that the city has anything to do with the monument which most likely was placed there by some veterans groups.

How long would it take out of our extremely busy day to pay honor to those who laid their lives on the line for us by sprucing up the monument?

Elmo-Ytown

I'm not sure, it looks like someone maintains it, but they only do the bare minimum. Behind it to the right is a used tire/repair shop, I think they may own the land directly behind it where the tree is, but I'm not sure.

Much more could be done to keep it up, such as cleaning up the leaves, washing off the memorial itself, and weedwacking along the bushes.

The right third of the memorial is the part that had been knocked over. It has been stood back up and cocking or glue used to reattach it to the middle third.

There is also an american flag on the pole behind it, but I don't think it is lit at night.

jay

The grass looks high too and a tree has fallen in the background.

Isn't this memorial supposed to be maintained by the Youngstown Parks Department?