News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Schools

Started by Towntalk, December 12, 2007, 02:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: jay on December 13, 2007, 05:48:14 AM
What will happen to the 20 W. Wood Street building?

The building will be vacated.  The building will be stripped.  The building will be demolished.

If YSU isn't interested, maybe someone could convert the building to residences?  I don't have a lot of faith that the Wick and Realty buildings will open very soon.  Also, studies have shown that 2% of a population would live in the downtown environment.  Theoretically, that's 1600 people within the city of Youngstown.  The Wick and Realty buildings are only going to have about 60 units. (I don't ever recall seeing numbers for the Erie Terminal building.)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

YSU might be interested. yes?

jay

What will happen to the 20 W. Wood Street building?

The building will be vacated.  The building will be stripped.  The building will be demolished.

Towntalk

One idea might be for the Board of Education to sell 20 W. Wood to the city to use as a new city hall, or sell it back to YSU.

Unless I'm mistaken other small cities in Mahoning County provide their Boards of Education room in one of the schools. The Board could also consider leasing space in the Stambaugh Building. Leasing space there would have to be cheaper than trying to own a huge building with all the costs that are involved. Where is it written that the Board of Education must own their own huge building any way? I would like to see what it costs to maintain 20 W. Wood ... utilities and maintenance etc.

What is needed is a cost analysys done by an independant auditing agence that doesn't have a dog in the fight.

northside lurker

Quote from: Jaime Hughes on December 12, 2007, 09:46:37 AM
Were talking about the OLD Rayen School aka Board of Education Offices. Where do they propose moving too? That building has sat vacant before, what do they expect to do with the building now? Will it just sit vacant again?

Another building set up for vacancy--
The school board is in a lose/lose situation.  If they stay in their current location, they are accused of being wasteful.  But, if they move out, they leave the building vacant.

With the decline in student population, I don't think they would have a problem finding some extra room in one of the new schools.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Jaime Hughes

Were talking about the OLD Rayen School aka Board of Education Offices. Where do they propose moving too? That building has sat vacant before, what do they expect to do with the building now? Will it just sit vacant again?

I'm Sorry, I will probably vote no to the March Levy. I was at the East Athletic Banquet where Mayor Williams spoke and I was very upset. None of the students were maintaining anything higher than a 3.0, in fact NO one was getting a 3.0 or better there. Mayor Williams even admitted that he has never been in the new East High and wasn't at the ribbon cutting or anything.

His whole speech was about he knows that the children of Youngstown weren't the problem and they weren't being the bad ones. He continued to propose the levy because he said thats what would make the world better in Youngstown.

Another building set up for vacancy--

Towntalk

According to the Vindicator, the Board of Education is looking to close it's central office ... 20 W. Wood Street:

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/322475174286353.php

My question is where would they relocate, and how would that save them money? No matter where they would relocate, there would still be costs involved.

They are also talking about closing the school bus garage. Where would they store and maintain the buses? Even if they leased space somewhere there would be a cost.