News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Events Coordinator

Started by jay, November 18, 2007, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

No offense Jay, but that is the single most pathetic excuse I've heard yet.
Now listen up! The work done by the Downtown Events Coordinator would come out of Eric Ryan's office. WE DO NOT NEED A CITY EMPLOYEE ACTING IN THIS POSITION! SHOW ME IN THE CITY CHARTER WHERE IT PROVIDED FOR SUCH APOSITION IN SPECIFIC TERMS. THIS IS THE VERY POINT THAT THE LAW DIRECTOR RECENTLY POINTED OUT, OR DIDN'T YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ THAT PART OF THE ARTICLE THAT APPEARED IN THE "LOCAL NEWSPAPER" AS YOU CALL THE VINDICATOR.
FROM THE JUNE 5, 2014 VINDICATOR

"Even though city council has hired the Federal Plaza/downtown director for decades, it appears it may not have the authority to do so."I'm researching the history of both the creation of the position and the past hiring practices," said Law Director Martin Hume. "There are charter provisions and ordinances that are inconsistent" with council's right to hire someone for that position. "

"But in response to questions from The Vindicator on Thursday, Hume said there's a 1975 city council ordinance that calls for the creation of a Federal Plaza commission, including some department heads as well as appointments from city council and the mayor, to decide who is selected for the position.Also, Hume pointed to the city charter, which gives council the authority only to hire a city clerk and other assistant clerks of council as necessary."

"Councilman Mike Ray, D-4th, said there is a "perception among some council members" that the downtown director deals primarily with the 1st Ward council member and that member has greater influence than others, and that shouldn't be the case."

"Also, Ray said council doesn't have the authority to hire Hughes' replacement."Once the law director tells you you're doing something that doesn't comply with an ordinance or the charter, you're obligated to correct that practice no matter how long it's been done," he said. "Past practice is not an excuse for not following the law."

jay

Many of the current downtown outside events and festivals are organized by nonprofit groups.  We just need a city employee who efficiently guides each group through the maze of obstacles that have to be overcome before an event can take place.

Example - A group holding a street festival has to obtain the signatures of at least 12 city officials before the event gets the OK.  This task alone can take many hours over several days to complete.  This signature gathering was previously done by the Downtown Events Coordinator.

AllanY2525

Excellent idea, Towntalk.  Maybe he would give the city a discount, since he's already doing
the events planning for Covelli.  From what I've read online, they've been doing a great job
so far.

Towntalk

Here is the answer that would not only shut annie gillam up but would close the door to her sticking her nose into downtown events.
1. Eleminate the position of Downtown Events Coordinator.
2. Contract Eric Ryan's group to handle downtown events EXCLUSIVELY, answerable only to the Mayor.
3. Council persons would have no more input than any other citizen.
4. Ryan would work with downtown businesses to plan downtown events. NOT CITY COUNCIL!

http://wkbn.com/2014/06/09/rod-stewart-coming-to-youngstown/

http://wkbn.com/2014/06/09/covelli-centre-management-takes-over-packard/

Towntalk

Towntalk

That my friend says a H*** of a lot. And who can the finger be pointed at? Certainly not the man behind the tree, or the toad sitting under the Mushroom.

Youngstownshrimp

Youngstownshrimp

Kidd was the events coordinator before hughes and he ran away from the job. Bad omen.

Towntalk

:)  My Step Father use to whip us up a batch of chipped beef on toast once in a while, and it wasn't half bad.  :)
He was a 30 year Army vet who fought in WW2 and Korea.

AllanY2525

Didn't the U.S. army troops in WW II call chipped beef over toast S.O.S. also(?)

It stood for "sh* on a shingle".....appropriate to this situation, as well.....another
catchy phrase that comes to mind is "cluster ****" - also a good description of how
council handles so many things...

LOL

:D

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

No, and Jay owes it to us to tell us what it means.  >:(

ForumManager

Am I the only person that doesn't know what SOS means?

jay

Several citizens have called council to complain that applications were not taken for this position.   One irate individual claimed that it is the SOS going on again.

jay

Anyone with the slightest involvement with downtown Youngstown knows Phil.  I'm sure he will plan many entertaining events for 2008.