News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Mill Creek Question

Started by Mary, August 04, 2007, 11:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Well our friend is now a parent!
Here are some pictures I took today.  Sorry for the poor quality.  I took them with a cellphone.  The pair have 8 little ones and the goslings  are taller and grayer than  those in the other families  but that could mean they were born a little earlier. You can't really see the size difference in the photos.

Mary

Yes thats the bird! thanks for the pics. i took some but i am having computer problems. Thanks for the info!

ForumManager

wikipedia
greylag goose. 
Could this be the mystery bird? see the photos at the bottom of the page.  Article says it often hangs with the Canadian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylag_Goose

ForumManager

I drove through the park today and he was with a group on the creek near the lily pond.
You can see He/she is different and even in the picture it is obvious it commands some space.
I couldn't get through by my usual shortcut though as the Glacier lake drive was closed, apparently due to runoff and flooding from the rain.  There is a picture of a bull dozer cleaning up piles of gravel that had washed onto the road near where I stopped to see the birds.

our2cents

Post the picture...  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a domesticated goose or white goose that has become part of the wild flock down there.

ForumManager

If you find out, let me know.  We have often wondered that ourselves.  One group of folks was there and they named him/her "the BOSS" and after observation, it was clear that the others were following his lead.

Mary

Does anyone here spend any time in mill creek? If so i have a picture of some kind of bird from the Lily Pond that i would like to know what it is. It stays with the Canadian geese but it has an orange beak and its underneath is fluffy white.  If you think you can id it, let me know and i will post it or send.

We have been spending a lot of time at the park (its free and I'm poor!)and its been really great actually.