News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Liberty-Paramount Safety Barriers

Started by jay, May 12, 2007, 04:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

When you factor in the roof's condition, you have a serious problem. A couple of years back, a theater in the same condition as the Paramount collapsed in Toronto, Canada and several people were seriously hurt. That building was scheduled for demolition when it collapsed. Once the roof and it's support beams go, there is nothing supporting the side walls which are three stories tall.

I wish the City would send in some building inspectors to get a detailed report  on the condition of the Paramount and make it public. So far, all any of us have to go on is speculation based on a hand full of photos and newspaper accounts of other theaters in similar condition.

northside lurker

I took a closer look at what is barricaded this morning.  Unless there are loose bricks up high that I can't see, the only other problem I see is that the belt course of terracotta (just below where the wall changes to brick) looks to be falling apart.  But, it is only 10' or so above the ground, so it wouldn't be a great danger.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. If the building is starting to crumble, you can bet that the city is going to demand that the building must go. I just hope that the folks at the Ceaders step in and demand that the city demolish the building. They are a city landmark and do not need to have to put up with a building like the Paramount putting their customers at risk. I just hope that if the city does order the Paramount demolished that they do so at the owners expence.

northside lurker

I saw the barriers this morning, and I can only guess that there is loose terracotta or brickwork. :(
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

northside lurker

Which side is the west side?  I'll see tomorrow, but are you referring to the side facing Hazel street?  I have noticed pieces of wood on the ground in the past that, apparently, have fallen from the old window frames.  But, the front of the building faces Federal. (south, I guess)
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

V-e-r-y  strange indeed. You don't suppose that the city has finally stepped in and found the building unsafe.

Remember when chunks of the side wall of the old State Theater fell and damaged the building next door?

If the owner of the Paramount was starting work on his building, you'd think that there would be barriers all around the building, or at lest some sign that work was beginning. I doubt that he had the barriers set up.

jay

Some safety barriers have been placed on the sidewalk at the west side of the Liberty-Paramount Theater building.  Does anyone know the reason why?