News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Among the Recently Planted Flowers

Started by jay, April 28, 2007, 09:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Let's hope that the same councilman can come up with legislation to have a set aside for such things as plantings downtown.

How about having Streetscape contact the folks at "Victory Garden" (PBS) about taking on Federal Street as a project? They have all sorts of contacts to get plants and shrubs much cheaper than the ordinary person would have to pay.

Just an idea, but one worth considering.

jay

Streetscape will be held on Saturday, June 2, 8 a.m. to 12 noon.  Perhaps the forum's gardeners will volunteer to help this year.

Shortly after the picture was taken, the wine bottle was removed from the flower pot by a concerned citizen who also happens to be an independent candidate for the seventh ward council position.

Towntalk

Judging from the brand label on the bottle, a wino left it there, so it's not a great surprise. The sooner we run this sort out of town the better. Hopefully once all the empty buildings are gone most of them will go away since they live in the empty abandoned buildings.

I love flowers, and they do spruce up the street.  It would be nice if instead of annuals that they would plant shrubbery in the pots and flowers elsewhere along the avenue.

As far as Street Scape is concerned, the city should set aside money so that they can tend the pots on a regular basis. These things need much attention to keep them beautiful and that takes money, but in the end it pays off.

northside lurker

It's disgusting, but hard to escape people who don't have pride in their surroundings, and leave their trash where ever they please.

As far as the flowers themselves, where did they come from?  Doesn't the annual streetscape event usually happen later in May or June?

I agree with planting more perennials.  But I don't know who chooses the plants that are planted at the streetscape event.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

As much as I love annuals, I wish they would focus more on perennials for the beds downtown.  It is more expensive at first but it  saves money because  they  last over the long run and spread out.

jay

These flowers were planted in the pots along West Federal Street about one week ago.   Flower pots should not be used for the disposal of trash.